Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's our method. We are working on critical thinking skills and letting him unwind all of the fantasy characters. I think him no longer believing on Spider-man will be the final straw. (If only my husband could give up his belief in Spider-man)
I don't know if it's exactly relevant, but when I was in Elementary school I discovered a book of Greek myths; they were good stories, all about gods, goddesses, and heroes that no one believed in anymore. I think having this in my background helped later on.
That is how I first starting doubting the whole God thing. After studying Greek mythology in junior high I remember mocking anyone that could have believed such things in ancient Greece. It then suddenly occurred to me that it really wasn't so different than the stuff being taught as true on Sundays. This seed grew and by 15 I realized that I was no longer a believer. I didn't tell my parents until my late 20's though. My father's reaction was funny in that he said that it didn't matter what I said as I had been "saved" and baptized before my "so-called" conversion.
How about this: If I say I agree with you will you shut up and I can go on my merry way?"
I've never heard the term "godder" before. That's catchy. Do you mind if I use it?
Mother: You don't believe in God???!!!

Me: no mom

Mother: why?

Me: because I don't believe in owing debts as soon as I am born.

Mother: *gasp*...*contemplation*...."I will pray for you David"

That was about 11 years ago...she's still praying for me.

While at work reading God is not great by Hitchens, a co-worker notices and asks:

him: what are you reading?
me: god is not great
him: why?
me: because I'm an atheist and the book is amazing.
him: In a sad and tragic tone "You're an atheist???"
me: yes

Since that happened he started bringing in the daily bread books to work to try to either protect himself from my atheism or lure me into asking to read them. Little does he know that I've read the entire Bible 3 times, read the daily bread and can reduce the most faithful priest/minister/pastor to an infant whose supply of oxygen was being threatened.

I've had the worst reactions from women I tried to date as well...mostly gasps and small 1 sentence long discussions about how I don't believe in god...I'm still single :(
Believe me..atheist women are a rare commodity where I live.
Where is this so I know where to work my magic? XD
The United States of America.
Good answer. I have been turned down even on eharmony.com. She listed she was spiritiual but not religious. I put no religion. She didn't think it meant atheist. After the first date she asked me if I believed in anything. I said no, that I was an atheist. She never spoke to me again. So it seems like atheist women are a rare commodity in the USA.
sucks to be you bro, i guess you could act religious for one evening???

after all, intercourse one night, and hilarity the next morning.
double the fun!!!!
I was having a discussion with one of my friends about religion in general, she's wiccan or pagan (I can't remember which, mother earth and crystals and whatnot), and she asked me if I was still agnostic (which I had been for a while...)

me: No, I'm an atheist now.
her: Oh, but, so you don't believe in anything?
me: I don't believe that there is a god, or some sort of higher being, no.
her: Are you sure you're not just becoming an atheist coz it's like, the "in" popular thing right now?
me: ....

I was unaware being an atheist was "cool".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Don replied to Čenek Sekavec's discussion Asparagus in the group Godless in the garden
39 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
1 hour ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
2 hours ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service