Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That seems to be one of the more hopeful responses. You can kinda see the "reality check" taking place.
I can't think of any specific conversation, but i seem to get the monkey argument alot. "I didn't come from no monkey! (they say this loudly, and looking around for support, and then start to laugh)" It's like auto response. Logic is trying to creep into their brain, and they have to lash out loudly, in the form of ignorant statements. It's kind of like an invisible protective shield similar to the starship enterprise (star trek).
I don't understand what the "monkey argument" has to do with veganism.
So, what might be a common example of a common response? What would be analogous to "I ain't related to no monkey"?
Actually, some apes and monkeys tend to do this: posture and make loud noises when confronted. So maybe an appropriate answer is "I think the evidence shows it, like when you just now..." :-)
I knew what you were trying to say.  My Mom is a vegetarian (used to be vegan), and also an Atheist.  People actually get MAD at her for not eating meat or wearing leather,etc.  MAD!  Isn't that insane?  So she's had people say 'god' put animals on this planet for humans to eat.  Wonder how they feel when she then says she doesn't believe there is a 'god'? LOL!

LOL!

If someone knows me, I normally get the "but you're so good/smart."

People have such discriminatory stereotypes in their head when it comes to atheists, they have trouble reconciling an atheist without horns. The initial reaction isn't so important. Just leave them with a positive example of a normal atheist. The important thing is what they think about later, not how that react to the initial surprise.
yeah, everytime i do something nice (all the time), my brother says "you're a christian".
One of the first people I told was one of my closest friends. She looked at me and said, "No you're not." She wasn't arguing with me and she didn't even seem shocked. She stated it as a fact. Its been about 10 years now and she still won't believe me. She thinks I'm in a phase. I was trying to tell her the other day that if this is a phase, it lasted longer than my contract to the Army.
You could try explaining that you have already committed the unforgivable sin described in Mark 3:29 and that even if you were simply in a "phase" there would be no incentive to revisit all the fears and dogmas that tied you down as a believer. It doesn't always work, but who knows.
I got called a "brain-washed, Nazi, Brown Shirt, onetime for attending a meeting with the local Atheist meetup group that doesn't allow Theists. Oh...the irony in that. I made sure to point it out too. The religious seam to resort to name calling when their arguments start to crumble.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service