Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've come out bi, but I'm hesitant to come out atheist.  It may be the last straw...or it may be that I fear they only 'tolerate' their queer relative out of a christian sense of loving the sinner.  If I bring a secular world view into our relationship, would they feel excused to condemn me as they so easily condemn the seedier aspects of secular culture?  I don't think they could associate anything good with atheism since it seems anything positive related to a secular world has been almost completely occluded by christian propoganda/ignorance. 

Being an Atheist is just like being Gay. You should be out and proud.

[I say something snarky at work.]

Coworker #1: Yeah, well you probably don't believe in God either.

Coworker #2: Don't say that.

Me: Actually, it's true.

Coworker #2: Really?!

Coworker #1: You still believe in Jesus, right?

EDIT: Another one with my uncle, who happens to be an evangelical minister:

Him: So why don't you go to church.

Me: Because I don't believe in God.

Him: So you believe you came from a monkey? Well, if we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

[I sit there dumbfounded, because I honestly thought I would never meet a real person who thought that was a convincing argument. In hindsight, he probably thought that he won the debate.]

My grandmother uses that same argument! The difference is that when I tell her "actually no, but I do believe we have a common ancestor. If we truly came from monkeys, we'd still be monkeys"

-wry grin- my mother says I'm a bad influence..

That's much more elegant than the stumbling reply I gave. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it probably reinforced his belief that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Heh, I wouldn't call it elegant. I was frustrated, and possibly rolled my eyes. I facepalmed a few times and almost called my grandmother an idiot. Instead, I called her on her obvious dislike of scientists and those who use reason. I asked her "why are you so keen on seeing me and folks like me in hell?".

Yeah, I've gotten a bit bolder as I've gotten older, and my grandmother sees it as me becoming a big bitch(lol). My mother on the other hand, just sees it as me standing up for myself, even though she's not a fan of my "atheism" thing.

See AronRa's expose on this.  We *are* still monkeys.

I remember my dad saying: "All the atheists should be rounded up and put on an island."

When I got to thinking about it, it's funny because that's alot of scientists in one area. Could you imagine the state the island would be at in 10 years?
That is a wonderful idea.  It would be a wonderful place to live and work.  Think "Real Garden of Eden

I'd agree with him.  I'd love to live where everyone used reason & evidence and I didn't hear religious stupidity everywhere. 

I think in not too many years, the island would be so prosperous, crime free, and so many new technologies would be invented, that people everywhere would be begging to join the atheist island community, and religions would be bleeding to death.

Exactly.  Family Guy episode where they travel to an alternate universe in which Christianity never existed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5jnqEyUs4

Yeah - good Family Guy episode Scott.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service