Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a great quote from someone who just came out as an atheist to their mother. The mother's reply was:

"An atheist!?!?! I can understand you not believing in god but an atheist?!?!?!
That is too funny
"An atheist!?!?! I can understand you not believing in god but an atheist?!?!?!"

*Facepalm*
Well, now I'm curious what she thinks an atheist is. D;
lol me 2!!!
She probably thinks that means you worship the devil or something.
Im actually very lucky as i, like one of the other posters live in the UK and we dont attract as many nutjobs as our friends in the states, but i did have a couple of amusing run ins with christards (and mormons) which really made me chuckle.

One sunday i was on the train going to orchestra rehearsals and i was minding my own business reading "the god delusion", and as the train began its slow approach towards Southampton Central station, i began to pick up my violin and bag and shut my book. as i did a lady sat across from me looked down at the book and looked at me

Her: (in a strong texan drawl) Whats that book there?
Me: Ohh this, its the god delusion.
H: What do you mean.........god...delusion
M: exactly that, why?
H: What? ....... are you some kind of sucum suckin atheist or somthin
M: well as a matter of fact..yes i am

at this she leans over

H: Your going to BURN IN HELL YOU EVIL BASTARD, her voice drops to a whisper, and im gonna laugh as you do.

M: well actually im not because the devil or hell, like your god does not exist.

at this she turns and SMACK! her hand hit my face as hard as she could. the train pulls in and i leaves the train slightly stunned, but chuckling as she begins praying in toungues.

I did also have a run in with an american exchange student at my university, who after a lecture i had given on the origins of life, threw a bible at me telling me that i'd wasted my life, needed to get right with jesus, and that everything i needed to know was in the first chapter of genesis. To which i asked, is that the first or second version of the creation myth, much to the hilaritry of other students who had queued up to ask me sensible questions. Needless to say she didnt stay after that

I had also managed to pwn a couple of mormons in my city centre beating my PB which is now set a 5 minutes flat!! I love the smell of pwnage in the morning!!
I don't know that I'd call that first one an "amusing" run-in. I'd call it assault. >.>

Agreed.  I find that highly disturbing...and I'm an American.  I'd have reported her to the authorities...that's what camera phones are for. :-)

Actually you should have had her arrested for assault.

But do tell us about the exchange students & the Mormons... they sound like interesting stories !
"But you're going to hell."

I don't think they quite understood what's entailed in atheism.
I related some of my experience with a quartet of JW's in my blog, Morning Encounter, but here's the fun part:

Me: Hi, can I help you?

She: Good morning. We’re from the local Kingdom Hall and we wondered if we could talk with you for a moment.

Me: Indeed – I’m an atheist.

She: Oh, my. I don’t believe I’ve ever met an atheist before. Were you always an atheist, or did something happen to move you in that direction.

Me: Yes – common sense.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service