Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea, I like that one too.
thank you - I love learning more latin
I haven't had any horrible responses. Two pen pals (one Jehovah's witness, one wiccan) stopped writing me. I have a lot of religious classmates and in speech class did a speech about being atheist and how it's not a dirty word. We reviewed each other's speeches, they all gave me good marks although wrote about how I was "defending my religion" and a comment about "I have a friend who is the same religion as you"--I just laughed it off.

My husband just said "maybe next year you'll be a Buddhist". I guess he thought I kept changing my mind b/c I associated with a few different religions over the years. Also, he was eager to try having sex with me now that I was an atheist.
I've never had any terrible responses, although a few interesting debates have arisen.
One I am particularly proud of came from a woman who witnessed me giving my change to a beggar (I was inclined to say "homeless guy" but then decided he might just be begging) outside of a convenience store. She told me it was a "very Christian thing" to do. I chuckled and told her that her assumption was odd because I am not. The discussion that followed went along pretty standard lines, and ended with me explaining how it honestly seemed more moral to do such things without the "promise of heaven," because then one acts out genuine compassion, rather than some selfish need for "god points." Of course, that is probably no new discussion to many of you, but having it outside of a convenience store with a total stranger will get some looks.
I was talking to my friend in school about religion since he is a muslim an I'm an atheist. This is some random point in the conversation, I don't remember how we got there.

Friend: "Dude, you're an atheist."

Some Kid in my Class: "Did you just call him an atheist?"

Friend: "Yeah..."

Kid: "Why? That's an insult."

Me: "I'm an atheist, why the hell is it an insult?"

Kid: "Oh..." *Walks away*

Apparently calling someone an atheist is an insult now... :P
I wish i could get people to insult me that way
I have a pentecostal neighbor who informed me I was not really an atheist. She also told me carbon dating was a conspiracy against Christians. She insist that Jesus is calling me. I told her when he does I will let her know
Its amazin' how pathetically stupid some God drunks can be. First they, in my opinion, are fixated at a very childish level. God must be a person or a big beared Jew, as if he were not, how could Jesus be his boy and Jews be HIS chosen people?

I live here in South Carolina, not noted for being very educated and even those who profess erudition would go stiff at the thought of someone who does not acknowledge the LORD. After all he made you in HIS image and he's perfect, but you're a sinner.

The lack of internal consistency does not phase them. Another odd thing, if a tornado blows everything down, but spares one house, the owner gets down on her knees and thanks God.

I mean what could that be about? If you believe God is in control then why did he blow away that mother and baby up the street?

Oh, well, they have an answer. God loved them so much he wanted them to be with him in Heaven.

Now, if in fact God is a personality why doesn't he say Hi more often?
In response to the praise lord for not blowing my house away........the florida girl found in the Georgia dump, the last news story I read the mother pretty much said she was putting her faith in god to work out the justice part since they had a suspect. Hmmm, if he didn't intervene in her abduction and murder I don't think he's going to do much with the police investigation and trial.
Hopefully that was just a figure of speech from a distressed mother but we all know there are people out that truely believe it.
In high school we took a vote if we wanted to learn evolution or creation. Since talking in class is a no-no, I passed a note to my friend that I was voting for evolution b/c I didn't think the god thing was real. My friend's bitch of a step sister found the note later and wrote me a multipage letter that she let me read thru a ziplock bag while she held it. I can't remember what it all said. The stepsister and stepmom didn't want us to be friends b/c I was a 'bad influence'. I was a straight A student in high school. The stepsister was a C student and lost her virginity to a cousin and got pregnant twice in high school. And they thought I was out of control b/c I rode my horse to their house once.
I only got the 'you worship the devil' comment once. I replied that makes no sense as to worship one you would need to believe in the other. And since I belive in neither I worship neither.
"In high school we took a vote if we wanted to learn evolution or creation."

WTF?

"My friend's bitch of a step sister found the note later and wrote me a multipage letter that she let me read thru a ziplock bag while she held it."

WTF?

It sounds like you had an...odd childhood. :)

I shouldn't talk though. I'm sure I have equally odd stories.
This one got me thinking:

"And they thought I was out of control b/c I rode my horse to their house once."

WTF?

I guess I wouldn't be too happy with someone who did this to me either.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

William Sams replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
26 seconds ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
2 minutes ago
Luara replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
3 minutes ago
William Sams replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
7 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Luara's discussion A good antitract
8 minutes ago
Freethinker31 liked Luara's discussion A good antitract
9 minutes ago
Freethinker31 commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
10 minutes ago
Amanda liked Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Le Pape: Ma vie masturbatoire
13 minutes ago
Richard Goscicki replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
15 minutes ago
Amanda commented on Amanda's video
18 minutes ago
Don replied to Don's discussion Sugar Baby in the group Godless in the garden
21 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
24 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service