Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a wonderful story. It went similarly for me. Thanks for sharing.

It's going to be a loooonngg phase.

I know mine has been!

My tabla (Indian percussion) teacher heard I was an atheist, so one day in class he semi-seriously said to me, "You know this is a cult, right?" to which I responded "Of course it is." and everyone else in the room made faces like a gun went off. 

Semi-seriously as in, he considers music to be spiritual. Though not so literally as, well, I've said enough 

This was not specifically related to coming out atheist to my mom, but a conversation we were having about her church's extremely restrictive prohibitions about divorce and remarriage.  It is a constant nagging fear of members of this denomination whether they are "Bibilically free to remarry" and couples often go on a hunt from from church to church in search of a pastor who will give them the green light.  Anyway, my mom shared a story about one two such couples who were friends, decided they no longer wished to be married and so got divorced and swapped partners.  They also agreed to call each other up on their wedding nights and set a time to have sex, so they neither couple would be "committing adultery" against the other.  My mom and I both thought this was absolutely freaking hilarious!  It also felt like a very teachable moment and after we stopped laughing uprprarisously, I said, "Mom, I can't believe in a god who would actually work like that." and she said she agreed with me.

R  "My dad told me he believes because he "feel[s] better when believing than when not."  WTF much?"

It's a superstition of the mind.  He probably knows no one is out there but cannot break the habit because of consistent and early  brainwashing.  He just hasn't realized that he is an atheist.  One day he may run into somthing he cannot rationalize away. (Intelligent people can do this easily.)  Then he will be stuck and unable to fake it even to himself.  

I think I was explaining the beginning of the Universe in Highschool.

Me) So there are theses Atoms....
They) Where did those come from?
Me) So there are these Quarks, and Leptons and....
They) Where did those come from
Me) They just are there, ok
They) They can't just be there, they have to be created by God
Me) Where did God come from?
They) He is just there.....
Me) He can't just be there, He has to be created by something....?
They) No...He's God.....

When i told my mom that i was an Atheist she automatically assumed i was other things aswell. To this day she thinks i am a communist, a terrorist, a book burner, a homosexual, and a rapist.

One member of my family just smiled and said, "I bet you're not as atheist as you think you are."  I just smiled and said, "Well, I haven't met a god yet that I believe in, so...."

Hey, I'm in need of some advice everyone, I'm kinda new to this site so I'm not sure how to start a forum or blog that I can be assured people will see.

I live in a small apartment complex in Hesperia, CA, very religious part of CA, very hob nob, sort of place where if you don't go to the same church as everyone, you're probably not going to get the job, my gf was actually fired from her job as a High School teacher because she started the schools very first Gay & Straight alliance for the students who are homosexual. Of coarse they didn't say they were doing it for that reason, but, lot's of parents called in complaining and the Principal of that school is a very intense, pounding, preaching it in inappropriate places kinda guy.

Ok sorry, I know I'm rambling, here's my problem, I have been talking to one of my neighbors, a nice Vietnam vet who has very little family, so he zips around the complex on a motorized wheelchair sparking up friendly conversations with anyone who will lend him an ear. Some how the topic of religion came up, come to find out he considers himself agnostic, so now we have a fairly large common denominator, of sorts and we proceed to rap back and forth, sometimes for hours, I call BS on this scripture, or, that and he kinda does the same. Well a few of the other tenants over heard these conversations and were very offended, or so they say. Personally I'm not trying to upset people, but, these were very harmless, general conversations and if a tenant over heard something he, or, she did not like they are more than able and welcomed to stop eavesdropping, that, or they could always come join the convo and contest what I'm saying.

Well it turns out they like to play dirty, they complained to the front office. To date I have heard a rumor from a pretty solid acquaintance, who came to me without me telling him any of what happened and told me he was dropping his rent off when he overheard the manager and some of these rabble rousing tenants, she was telling them "If he wants to worship the devil than I will evict him and he can do it elsewhere" she than when onto say that this bldg needs nothing other than good moral Christians, not Devil worshiping Atheists.

I've heard it said before that there are certain groups that can defend a person against such wrongful eviction, if she serves me papers what should I do? I can't really afford to hire an attorney? where can I go to get help? do you think the ACLU would here me out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry again to troll this post, I'm a noob :(

Wow!  That just stuns me.  I know it shouldn't, but the fact that anyone in this day and age thinks they can evict you for not being an xtian is just bizarre to me!  I don't know what you could do about it, maybe contact a lawyer?

Talk to a lawyer?  Absolutely.

Also, get with the Freedom From Religion Foundation.  They've provided serious muscle to cases such as yours multiple times and are very much worth having on your side.

Best wishes.

Try to call in to the radio show Your Legal Rights.  You can pose a question directly on the air and you can also talk to one of their bank of volunteer attorneys during the show hours.   Also check out the Department of Consumer Affairs website section on tenant law.  There are a lot of useful links in there, such as local housing advocacy organizations, what constitutes discrimination and what remedies and compensation you may be entitled to if your landlord breaks the law.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service