Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Years ago, when my daughter was in fourth grade. She said, "they are so stupid at school" Apparently, she told somebody that she was an atheist. Later on, during PE, as they were picking teams, a few of them remarked that they weren't picking her because she is an "Ethiopian." (no, not her ethnic background).
My daughter was the first to declare herself atheist.   I was the second, and when I approached my mom, she said she stopped believing years ago.   Now my MIL is at the church saying Novenas for us, but I guess that's her problem.   I remember when I was a little girl, my grandfather (direct from Italy, no less) was an atheist.  He used to say there is not god and "when you die, you die".   But my mom still sent us to catholic school and went along with the program.  Catholicism was more of an identity than a religion.   You could still belong and not believe, evidently.

I was sent an article written at Christianity Today by an old neighbor.  Its called "Why There Are Still Atheists"

I thought it was silly.

This is the kind of self-congratulatory BS I have come to expect from most christian websites and magazines.  Do you suppose they've ever talked with any of US, and if so, would they admit to getting their asses kicked in such a confrontation?
Wow I laughed through that entire article !

This is so insulting.  They pulled it all out of their azz.  The comments are interesting, too.  What atheist concedes that there is no love, morality, or order without god?  What a total load of feces!  How then did humans get here before their was organized religion?  These people are sick and under or mis-educated.  One atheist comment said that I have morals because I have empathy.  Something clearly missing in the previous christian's comment and often missing in the context of atheist vs christians. 

I've told my mother father and sister I'm an atheist, and they're all very accepting, I even convinced my little sister to be an atheist. A few of my close friends I've told, two of them are religious and just kind of grazed over the topic and started talking about why they believe (my friend believes because in middle school she was an "atheist" & didn't do a project for a class, so she prayed to god to help her out and there was a fire drill. That's literally why she believes.)

I'm still wary about telling my half sister and aunt and uncle, who are all religious. I feel like they wouldn't let me see my niece and cousins any more (my eldest cousin told me she prays for people in Egypt because they're going to hell because they don't believe in god, which scared the shit out of me)

Don't be a coward.  Come out of the Atheist closet

My sister always calls me a satanist.  I try to explain that being an atheist means that I don't believe in Satan either. 

I have not told many people that I am an atheist, but my favorite question was, "aren't you worried about going to hell?".  Um, no.  Super no. 

lol

My daughter told me she was an atheist.  Since I was not at that point myself yet, I didn't say much.  I didn't try to get her to believe.  It really opened my eyes, and made me admit to myself the things I wouldn't look at before, and be more logical and reasonable about what I believed. 

The whole, where do you get your morals from without the bible thing was one of the first places I saw reason.  I always felt that having a get out of hell free card made no sense.  I also asked someone once why we(people) were supposed to forgive each other with nothing more than an I am sorry from others, yet the god of the bible demanded someone die in order for god to forgive. 

Anyway, I just get asked if something bad happened to make me lose faith, or if I am mad at god. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service