Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got something like that. After I told a friend I was atheist, his response was "So... You're a Scientologist?"
I go a similar response when I told someone that I think that Scientific Theories are truer than religious ones.

A guy at work asked me that.  I had to set him straight and tell him about the basics of Scientology.  He thought it was weird, but the whole Virgin-Birth/Trinity thing is a-okay.  He also thought that Jews believe in Christianity...

Hahaha My sister asked that.
Worse is the one I've gotten about three times: "You're such a good person, I think you're a Christian without knowing it."

It's funny, but it's also sad ... because I know I can't possibly get them to see how truly insulting that is.
Love it!
How about saying: "And you are a good person despite being a christian..."
This one's brilliant! Because it's friendly, yet states your point in one swoop. I should use this one.

oooh, stealing that one if I may..

I've been told by my mother and my father-in-law that I am not an atheist, I'm a non-believer.
Haha. Speaking of cells multiplying ... they only like science when ultrasounds show pictures of fetuses so they can enlarge it fifty times and harass people having abortions.
I got a variation on that from a fundamentalist co-worker. We'd gotten to be pretty good friends since we started working together. The fact that she wore her fundamentalism on her sleeve didn't really bother me. She was very young and seemed a little unsure of her faith, which I considered a good thing.

I mentioned once that we had gone "to church" on a Sunday, and that in fact we are regular churchgoers. That was probably disingenuous of me; we actually belong to a UU Fellowship. My co-worker took it to mean that we are Christians and came to me one day to discuss her difficulty in "doing god's will." I don't even know what the context was. Before she got very far I said, "You know I'm not a Christian, right?" The rest of the exchange went something like this:

Friend: But you go to church.
Me: Yes. But it is not a Christian church.
Friend: Well what kind of church is it, then?
Me: Unitarian Universalist. I shouldn't have said "church." We call it a "fellowship."
Friend: What's your creed?
Me: Unitarian Universalists are non-creedal. If we had a creed, it would be "Deeds, not creeds." Or perhaps, "Free coffee for all."
Friend: I don't get it.
Me: Well, most of us were raised in a different faith. We have ex-Christians, ex-Jews, ex-Muslims, you name it. Also a lot of Buddhists, Transcendentalists, Pagans, Secular Humanists.
Friend: Secular Humanists?!? Aren't they....atheistic?
Me: Mostly. Not all.
Friend: And you let them in?
Me: ... Yes. We let them in. We let anyone in.
Friend: Well, what are you?
Me: I consider myself a Secular Humanist, actually.
Friend: Are you an...atheist?
Me: Yes.
Friend: But...but...but...You're such a good Mom!

Sigh....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service