Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I told my parents I was an atheist their first reaction was "who have you been talking to?!?!"

As if I couldn't come up with that conclusion on my own, someone had to INFLUENCE me. It's sad, really.
I know, when my parents found out I was atheist, first they blamed my ex for being so bad to me. Then they blamed my second husband for putting false thoughts into my head. It took them a long time to figure out that it was my own thinking that got me here!
My parents never stopped blaming my husband too, and my dear old communist father-in-law. It never occurred to them that I was an atheist long before I met my husband.
Me: Dad, I'm an atheist

Dad: Yeah, I know. ...And?

Thanks, Dad. I love you.
awesome parenting!
"WTF" - my aunt
When I was @ 8 years old my father, who was at that time an Atheist though I wasn't told until after the divorce, was in a car accident. He broke all of his limbs and was in a coma. Once he got out of the hospital he converted to Catholicism. A few years after that, and after the divorce, I came to the realization that there is no god. I told my mother this, and she said "Look at what happened to your father for not believing." I don't think that she thought that one through to well, because I asked her how that made sense. God wanted my father to believe in him, so he almost killed him? Add the fact that after my father woke up from the coma he tried to cut off his own leg, shot a gun out of the back door saying "That guy called me an asshole." at three in the morning and accused my mother of not being my mother. It appeared to me from that point on that people who believe in a big sky daddy were insane.
I've gotten the "you worship the devil" thing too!
I was in my mid-30's when I started the path that turned me atheist. My brother's wife asked me why I felt the need to do this, and I told her things weren't working the way they were, and I wanted to make a change in beliefs. She then dismissed me with a "oh, you're just going through a mid-life crisis." yea, whatever.
Me: So what's the deal, do you have a problem with me being an Atheist?

Idiot: Yes I do. I can't support you in something like this. I serve the Lord *the guy is a raging hypocrite who doesn't read the bible, hasn't set foot in a church in FOREVER, and only prays when he needs something* and plus you've changed.

Me: What?

Idiot: You're different now, and being an Atheist is probably why all that stuff happened to you *lost my 3rd pregnancy while my husband was deployed*. You need to find a church and get your life right *oh the irony there!*.

Me: You know it wasn't that nice knowing you jackass, goodbye.

And we haven't spoken since. I'm still confused as to how in one day I managed to go from "the best mother and wife" he knew to the devil. But being an Atheist seems to carry magical powers I guess.
My neighbor has the same reply no matter what question I ask her. It is true because the bible says its so. I asked if only Christians can " be saved " and she says you must come to the lord Jesus to be saved. I try to avoid her because when she sees me she keeps telling me that god is calling me. She is a nice lady so I did not give her my usual sarcastic reply.
Hey John....When she tells you that "god is calling", You should respond with the following:

"Tell god that I screen my calls...and I'm not picking up!"

If you say it with a smile in your voice, she may not be too offended. If she can't see the humor in it, then she's truly beyond hope. :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
32 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
37 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
38 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
39 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
41 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
49 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service