Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Other than the usual disbelief, going to hell, or devil worship responses I've had a few people that I work with that didn't even know what Atheist meant, they literally asked 'what's that?'. One girl was trying to flirt with me and when I told her I was an atheist she said 'me too!' I was doubtful so I offered her a passage to read in the book I was reading (The Portable Atheist) she read the first few sentences and said "You believe this junk?"

I regularly work the closing shift at my job, I've been reading The Portable Atheist when there aren't any customers and set it on the counter (in plain view, as I hope at some point a fellow atheist might see it and I might make a new friend over our shared disbelief) when a customer comes up, I've had a few people read the title aloud in a confused tone. One woman looked at me after her transaction and asked if it was mine (I was reading it as she walked up...) when I said it was, she asked if it was interesting, to which I also replied 'yes' then she said 'So you're a nonbeliever in jesus christ?!' I said I was a nonbeliever in all things supernatural and religious and she crossed herself as she left while I just shook my head and picked my book up again.
I put this story up here my first day on here, but this seems like a good topic to bring it back up for just for the sheer stupidity of it. I was at work last week and all these guys were talking about demons and blood sacrifices and all this b.s. I made a coment about demons not being real and it led to one of them saying that if I didn't believe in demons then I didn't believe in god..."of course I don't believe in god!" (I'm a skinny white guy and was in a room filled with large black southern baptists. My friend Earl, who is also a large black man, but very open minded, said it was the most coragous thing he'd ever seen anyone do) you should have seen the looks! I thought they were going to kill me! But the point is, the conversation led to a guy saying...and I quote..."if there's no god then why is the sky blue? No one knows! It just is because god made it that way." I whipped out my fone and looked up the raylee effect(or however you spell it) and said"naw man...this is why the sky is blue." He's been asking me questions ever since, but most of those guys figured out quick to avoid the subject since I can give them all the reasons I don't believe and they just "do".
I did not know this. As a kid, we were told it was reflecting the water from the ocean.
Learn something new everyday! Lol! Today I learned about talking donkeys!
From Shrek?
Im guessing the bible ....

2 Peter 2:16
"But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey—a beast without speech—who spoke with a man's voice and restrained the prophet's madness."

M.
Yes! That is the ass of which I speak!
I was told it was moisture in the air. I like this one better!
Knowledge is good!
Exactamundo!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service