Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While I was at work on an oil rig, a guy discovered my atheism and quickly informed everryone he could, as gossip goes at light speed around a rig. After his rant to everyone else, he walked by me and only said, "You're going to Hell on a gas truck!" I was most amused. I responded, "I don't believe in Hell, either, or gas trucks!" Actually, I do believe in gas trucks, but I bet you figured that out. The thing that sticks out in my mind, Hell is supposed to be pain, horror, torture and agony, right? What difference is a gas truck going to make? To this day, that guy won't hardly look at me.
Me: I'm an atheist

My brother: Joe bless you ( in reference to the George Carlin bit)

Come to find at that same moment so was he :)
I can't think of any! But loving the list of responses. This is some funny stuff, mostly. Some of it is just bad. Christians are fruity.
Over time I have had increasing difficulty keeping my mouth shut when conversations popped up at work regarding the plethora of inconsistencies of religion. I work in a hospital "Faith Based" and with patients I do keep my mouth shut except when directly asked about magical beliefs (that's another story). Around x-mas time- I still celebrate the Krismas thing with my family- I was talking with a co-worker regarding what Santa Claus was going to bring her kids
Her- Oh we don't want them to believe in that silly stuff about Santa Claus so they'll get disappointed when they get older.
Me- Yeah. It's sort of like the whole God thing.
Her- What do you mean?
Me- I'm an Atheist. It's the same kind of magical thinking.
Long pause.......
Her- Well I still like you, Steve
Funny how the thought of 'Not Liking' her wasn't an issue for me. To rephrase the original Poster 'You gotta love the Bible Belt.'
I'm in the UK so the Bible-bashers are a lot less intense but recently groups of mormon missionaries have been appearing in my local town centre trying to recruit. Seeing a couple of them trying to get the attention of the as usual uninterested locals I walked past slowly for a bit of fun. The two quite sweet American guys asked if I wanted to learn more about God and be saved. I responded quite politely that I'm an atheist. One of the guys responded that God was calling to me. I repeated that I don't believe in the existence of God and that if he did that as a gay guy I don't think I'd really be what he's looking for. They both looked shocked by my response. The other guy said that he would pray for me. I said "That would be a waste of all of our time" and walked off feeling fantastic.

There are new missionaries every couple of months and I always do my best to get stopped now.
Now that you bring it up...

On behalf of all Americans, I hereby offer the humblest of apologies to the entire world for the American advent of Mormonism. While just about every country and region has its native whacko religion, we here in the U.S. seem to have spawned one of the weirder ones. For that, I do apologize.

Now I will dedicate my life to rooting the scourge out with rational secularism, and ideally, it will wither and die.
Two of the weirder ones, don't forget we also spawned scientology. >.X
Uhggg! Alien convicts in volcano's... how revolting...
And Jehovah's Witnesses, and Scientology, and Wikkan, and Pentcostalism and .... Most, if not all, whacko new religions were spawned in the U.S. of A. The concept of "freedom of religion" as now interpreted by those in power in the U.S. governments actually encourages this. Tax exemption. Special visa privileges. No comprehensive national educational curriculum. Emphasis on "private" education. An endemically corrupt and corruptable government where you have to be insanely rich to run without being "bought" by those with interests which are not in line with the best interests of the nation as a whole. Etcetera.

Uh no-  The rich have already been bought before they get in.

The tax exempt thing pisses me off no end.  They don't pay taxes, they actively influence politics both national and regional, and they rope in more funds thru government grants for faith based mental health and food outreach.

I didn't know that they had special visa!  Crap!  Separation of church and state is a bit of a fantasy.  AHHHHH

And most of Mormonism's weirdness is the otherwise 'normal' appearance of many who follow it.
whenever someone says "oh my god" I always say "which one?" Not for my benefit, but because of so many different faiths. It always makes them stop and think. I love shaking things up!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service