Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is exactly how I felt when I came out to my family:) I think they would have rather me be gay, which makes no sense at all. :/
It actually makes perfect sense.  Zombie jesus can forgive you for being gay, but not for not believing in him.  I'm 100% sure that is what my parents think.  I'm still not out as an atheist. 

I just kinda told everyone straight, I think I can be abrasive sometimes, I stopped being polite cos every time i tell someone nicely its just like more incentive for them to try make me say "ooh god is back in my life" so every time someone talks about god around me I just laugh at them.

Kinda sounds like my mum. I've told her two, three times that I'm atheistic and she just doesn't believe it.
"You still believe in God. You always will."
It's kinda funny, because while she isn't overly religious (nor is my dad) she thinks she raised both my brother and me to be religious. I found out last Friday that we're both atheistic.

My folks took it rather well.  I was raised Lutheran, so I've been on both sides of the coin.  Of course they would want me to 'believe' again, but they didn't raise too much of a stink about it.  Now my one sister on the other hand is a different story. 

"So where do you get your morals without a bible?", to which I respond, "How about logic, reason and common sense?"  "Well, then you're just using the abnormal part of your brain.", to which I respond, "No, I'm using the rational part of my brain."  That shut her up.

And my mother even acknowledged the fact that when you read the bible with a realistic attitude instead of a faith attitude, then it is utterly ridiculous.  I think explaining to her that when I did that, I realized how stupid I had been for believing in it at all, and then I felt more free than ever.  Best feeling I ever had.  I think that's when she knew that I was serious.  Since then she never has pushed the issue.

If more people could just step outside the "faith box" and look at the Bible with fresh eyes they would do the same. Kudos to you mother for being able to and leaving you to your decision.
Exactly.  No book is responsible for more atheism than the damn bible.  She still believes, but she is the most tolerant and understanding christian I have ever known.

Most famous recent person for being converted to atheism, just by reading the bible and its origins:

Bart Ehrman

Started out as a fundamentalist Christian, studied to become a Biblical Scholar, became a Professor of Biblical Scholary, and along the way also became an atheist.

I get that exact attitude from my brother's wife! I told her 10 years ago I didn't believe, and she said I was just going through a mid-life crisis. Now she still says "you're going to believe in god again". LOL
I was about 14 when I realised that one of my schoolmates sincerely believed the bible. I happily informed him that I thought it had been made up; that the writers had simply imagined it all.

He thought about that for a while and then came back to me with such a serious look on his face. "Michael," he said, "You really do believe in God, but you are just too proud to admit it."

I laughed and laughed and laughed. He never spoke to me again (and that was nearly 50 years ago!)
Wow. That's all I can say, WOW.

I love that whenever I tell people I'm an Athiest, they automaticaly assume I'm an asshole... nine times out of then they're right, judging by my mood, but still. If I make a referance to Buddhism, people go crazy and start shouting "BUT YOUR AN ATHIEST SO YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GODS!"

My response has always been the same:
"Buddha was a real person, and I agreed with his ideals. No gods."

And some crazy Christians I know like to rant aobut how "rediculous" all Scientist's theories are when it comes to the theory of life, saying that it's all some "scheme" just because they're scientists and need to make money.

What I don't get is, they think a cell multiplying and expanding to a point where sentient life exists, and yet have no problem with a giant wizard up in the sky saying "let there be light" and making a giant star with enough heat to support life, then make a human being out of nothing, then a woman out of his ribs, then animals...

Whenever I explain how "rediculous" I think that is, their response is always the same.
"He's God. He can do that stuff."
Ha, that's a good one. Unfortunately, I haven't really had any amusing responses yet. :(

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service