Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love how it is a funny predicament Christians are in because they LOVE being "persecuted for there beliefs" but at the same time you take away a 10 commandments and they are having a conniption. Atheists on the other hand get told we are immoral on a daily bases "at least in my case".
Cause it's the in and popular thing? Look who's talking! I can't think of anything more obnoxiously trendy than Wicca--do we have teenagers flocking to atheism b/c there are TV shows about teen atheists?!

I noticed Wiccans are very good at debunking Christianity in much the same way atheists do--yet they don't realize the same arguments also apply to their religion.
My favorite response was from my aunt.

Aunt: We just have to ask god what the best plan is right now.

Me: Well, I don't believe in god.

Aunt: How?! Does your mom know?!

A little back story: My mom is textbook conservative. She's not A bible-thumper, she's THE bible-thumper. She always votes republican even though she knows nothing about the candidates. As long as they're Christian, that's good enough for her. I have had Christianity shoved down my throat for all of my life after the age of 5(she's the worst kind....born again). Imagine her disappointment when she found out I was a liberal, gay, atheist. Haha!
bet that went over like turd in a punch bowl
Yeah, another one...I swear coming out as gay is so much easier!
ZOMG , you really cannot get more heathenish than that. the look on her face must of been angelic, pardon the pun.
I love how "true Christians" get to be the arbiter of who is a Christian, not God or some other all knowing being.
Not sure if this counts but I have always considered myself an Athiest/Humanist but I attended a fairly lax Catholic High School (I was beat up by a girl from the non religious High School), anyway I was always considered one of the "good" students, good grades, never in trouble etc., then one day in my Fifth year a teacher asked to speak to me to ask me if I would be alter girl for some church event the school was involved in, I calmly said no and was asked why not, to which I replied "Well I have never been baptised and am an atheist so I don't think I am what the church has in mind...". The look on his face was priceless.
I go to a catholic High School and everyone now knows to avoid me after this.

Teacher: Joe, so why don't you believe in god?

Me: Why don't you believe in Zeus?

Teacher: Cause Zeus is not real.

Me: *raise eyebrows and look at teacher pityingly

Teacher: Any Way......
As a "descendent" of Thor (note my family name), it makes me sad that this person doesn't know the difference between greek and norse myths.

Ok, I don't get it.

1. Which person doesn't know the difference (Joe Henry or the teacher?)

2. What Norse myth? He was talking about Zeus and Jehovah, a Greek god and a Judeo/Christian god.

'Splain?

(BTW, I love Joe Henry's teaching the teacher by example, great!)

I learned a new term to use ^.^

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
24 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Daniel W's group Food!
26 minutes ago
Patricia liked Todd Crispin's profile
39 minutes ago
Deidre posted a status
"“It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.” ~Albert Einstein"
1 hour ago
Deidre commented on Todd Crispin's status
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin liked Donald R Barbera's blog post In the Closet (Part 3 Homosexuality)
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin liked Donald R Barbera's blog post What Does Science Say (Part 4 & 5 Homosexuals)
2 hours ago
David Joseph Hoebeeck replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin posted a status
"lol...spelled my name wrong...wow.. I am not very good at this stuff.."
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin updated their profile
2 hours ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Marie Walewska's discussion Veena Malik sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service