Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a good one with your grandmother.

I've gotten the whole Christmas thing too. When someone found out I was an atheist they seemed very angry that I actually do spend time with my family at Christmas and enjoy it. They began a long argument trying to convince me that I couldn't "really" enjoy Christmas.

Which is total and utter bollocks. When I try to explain to my mother that I celebrate the holiday as it's meant to(glorfication of family and lots of food..I'm from the south..so nothing better lol) she freezes up. What gets me is that she KNOWS that if Christ existed, his birthday would not be on December 25. That was Mithra. (She finally saw the movie religiolous with me..she watched the whole thing and admitted she liked it..sadly lol).

I'm too scared to watch that movie with my parents. Not that they're particularly religious, but they're into the whole "everybody's right, it just depends on how you look at it" stuff, so they'd probably think it was overly angry or disrespectful or something.

It's weird, because I feel less nervous talking about my atheism with closed-minded fundamentalists who say I'm going to hell than my completely understanding parents.

Maybe it's because your parents(who I'm assuming are sweet people) just want everyone to be "okay" in that spiritual sense and not really judge folks? It's an honorable thing, but folks like that are rare.

Not saying I'm for that, but it's refreshing.

I know what you mean though. You at least know where you stand with a fundie, but with someone who spouts truth light and peace(I sound like Trigun), it may cause them to say "Well, I'm sorry you have nothing to believe in" and that is just an interesting convo right there.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but it sounds pretty new age-y, the "everyone is right it just depends on how you look at it". But I guess right now to me a lot of things appear new agey and so on.

My parents are very strange when it comes to religion. My mom is an ex-nun turned hippy, ex-nurse turned alternative medicine advocate, and somehow sees all of it coexisting in some sort of uber-secular worldview.

I don't claim to understand it very well, but new age-y would certainly be a good way to put it.

That was the first thing that came to mind for me.

Alternative Medicine, hoo boy. I ended up talking to a friend about that whole "method" and how it just didn't work for me.

Their response: "Well, just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work!"

the mind reels...

I have a lot of mixed views regarding alternative medicine. I grew up with it and it wasn't until I was like 20 before I realized that it was controversial and non-scientific. I always assumed it was just as real as any other medicine.

There was one remedy (can't remember what it's called) that always seemed to work very well. Now I'm wondering if that's just the placebo effect (since I believed it was medicine), or if there is some truth to it all. It sure seemed legit when I was taking it.

*shrugs* I can't tell you. Someone tried to do ear candeling on me, but I refused after seeing the things that can happen from that being done.

I used the homeopathy drops for pink eye, and it made it worse...I didn't understand that AT ALL, lol.

My mom is a doctor, but isn't above going to a chiropractor...

Have we reached the reply limit? There's no reply button for your post. Guess I'll reply to myself...

Anyway, never done anything too weird like ear candeling. Actually, I don't even know what that is, but it sounds painful.

While living in Texas - this is a typical question when you meet someone - this was a girl I had worked with for awhile:

Girl: What church do you go to?
Me: I don't.
Girl: You don't??
Me: I'm not a christian.
Girl: But you're so nice!?
This doesn't fall under the amusing response, but my sister didn't mind when she found out I was gay, same partner for 23 years, but does not speak to me after I I told her in a nice way that the Bible was BS
I feel this will be an issue for me, also.  I've been an out gay for 20 years, but the atheism thing is really going to make the shit hit the fan.  Is it wrong that I hold it in my back pocket like a secret weapon for a time when someone in my family is being really ridiculous?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Don replied to Čenek Sekavec's discussion Asparagus in the group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
2 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
2 hours ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
4 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service