Amusing Responses You Got From People When You Came Out About Being An Atheist.

I thougt It would be interesting to see some of the more comical responses people have received upon coming out. I'll start things off with my favorite.

I was about 16 and a guy in class found out that I didn't believe in god and he came up to me and asked

Boy: "So do you really not believe in god"

Me: "No."

Boy: "So.... You worship the devil?!"

I got this one in one form or another many times..... Gotta love the bible belt! :)

Scott

Views: 5759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love it!
My mother just cried when I told her, and asked if it was something she had done wrong. My father doesn't talk about it.

Ok, this is kind of a twist on the coming out stories. My father is an atheist and (since he sent me to a xtian school) I was xtian from young. In my 30s, however, I started reading about Buddhism and realised that was what I was looking for in xtianity all along. Anyway, once I had really decided that I was a Buddhist after all, I told my father:

Father: Don't worship the Buddha he was just a man, not some kind of god.

Me: I agree.

Father: You mean you don't worship the Buddha?

Me: Nope. He was just a man that woke up.

Father: Well, what god do they worship?

Me: None - there is no all-powerful creator-god being.

Father: Anyway, there's no thing as a soul - when this body dies, that's it.

Me: I agree (sort of but I wasn't going to get into semantics).

Father: Sounds all rather sensible then. Just don't get involved in any cults.

Me: Yes, dad.

Hehe - it was all very amusing!

Go, Dad!

"An atheist!?!... But, let me get this right. You do believe in God and the Devil, right?"

My wife told her mother one day. Her mother's reply:

"I figured. He always needs proof of everything for some reason."

I've gotten that.

My reply was... "well you didn't think hard enough, It's clearly smarter than having blind faith. Aren't you diagnosed with that mental illness?

My Dad:  "Well, as long as you know that you should never be anything you can't spell."

(I spell 'atheist')

Dad: "I guess that's okay then."

That reminds me of my Facebook account, where I actually mispelled "athiest" on my profile. Nobody said anything, but I was sure embarrased a year later when I realized that.
Both of my parents are atheists from a Buddhist background, so I never had to deal with anything at home (I never 'came out', so to speak) but I sometimes get weird responses when other people find out. I was at a party one time and they were talking about religion, and when I told my friend I didn't believe that god or any supernatural stuff even made any sense they said, "I always figured you for a Moonie."
LOL.
Me: I don't believe in god

Them: It's okay, he believes in you.

Me: Prove it.

Them: You're welcome to come to church and see for yourself.

Me: No thanks. (walk away shaking head)

Optional Answer: Why should I have to go SOMEWHERE to get an answer from something that is supposed to be EVERYWHERE?

Apparently these dips can't conceive the idea that something that is everywhere is actually NOWHERE.  [shrug]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service