So we all know that Atheists are considered the least patriotic clique/group in American right? I have a simple question that might just take a little thought: What do you think is the least patriotic clique, group, or general assortment of people in America? If you are from the UK or another place you can also have a say in this or post the least in your area.

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My dear, you are simply brilliant! That is now my new project, lemme see.... should it look like and Anarchist spray paint or a non-smoking add?
Wonderful! After I get over this networking lag and get the time I'm going to either weld two of those together or have it made for sure. I'll be sure to scribble something one it about how it was your idea too. :]
Heh, first things first; I have to finish my dad's network at his work. Lazy bum can decode anything and code circles around me but never took the time to figure out how to set up a network.
For anyone wanting to see what it will relatively look like.

It sort of looks like the A is walking on the flag.
"Would you choose God over your country?"

If the answer is "Yes", you're not a patriot.

If the answer is "No", you're an atheist.
not necessarily but a good point is in there somewhere =)

how about: if "no", you have your head screwed on straight
The whole "patriotism" mindset we see in America now seemed to start after WW1 as a response to Soviet Communism. You don't see it as much before then. You also didn't see the worship of the military until after WW2. As America lost its industrial might, it seems it fell back on its military, based on the military's rousing success in a two-front war sixty years ago, and in spite of its spotty record since. We can't build or innovate worth a damn anymore but we seem to kill and shoot real well.

As an American I find the whole flag shorthand and fetishizing of military service by those who didn't serve (or those who served but want more lip service paid to it by the rest) a little nauseating. Those that join the military do so for their own reasons. Some perhaps wanted help with school, or to learn a trade, or to glean from service the sense of personal pride and discipline that exists there. Which is all well and good and they deserve the benefits they have earned, but the culture has elevated this into a blood cult, for lack of a better term.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

All that said though, I love the idea of the flag pin with the Dawkins "A" over it. It would infuriate the American Legion to no end....
I never thought about it that way.... it's interesting. I'll have to null that one over for a while. My view is more like the turtle's (no offense, thought it was funny).

As for the pin, I fully intend to make it. Does anyone know any sites that can be trusted to make such an item?
"So we all know that Atheists are considered the least patriotic clique/group in American right? I have a simple question that might just take a little thought: What do you think is the least patriotic clique, group, or general assortment of people in America? If you are from the UK or another place you can also have a say in this or post the least in your area."

Not sure I understand the question.Are you being facetious, in equating 'patriotism' with that especially obnoxious form of jingoism many Americans call 'love of country'?'

In my country one's patriotism is simply assumed. People who make a big deal of their patriotism are viewed with deep suspicion.You rarely see a flag in someone's yard or on a business premise.Some wankers fly a small flag on their car on Australia Day.
No no, around here it's that the way one thinks determines how others perceive you (in this case love for country). So it is generally just assumed that is you are an Atheist you are also an Anarchist. It's truly sad.
I'd have to agree with Tarquin. Our form of patriotism in America is really jingoistic when compared with other nations. It's all a part of American Exceptionalism, the idea that whatever American does it does it the best and always for the best of reasons. This concept is shared by many on the Conservative right while at the same time they scream against any government involvement.

Personally, I think the most patriotic thing a person can do is ask questions, i.e. question authority.

I'd love one of those pins too. You might contact Atheist Alliance, since they developed the "A" pin, about putting together one with a flag on it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service