Short Read

America: The Grim Truth

Some of the claims in the article are untrue (70% of taxes going to the military) and others are just nuts (the government is going to lock the place down...they don’t want their “recruits” escaping. They don’t want YOU escaping)

However, let's take a look at the primary claim:

"You (Americans) have the worst quality of life in the developed world – by a wide margin"

and some of the supporting claims

Americans have:

-less access to health care

-poorer diets (less healthy)

-Low quality food (more processed, more contamination, etc)

-More reliance on meds

-Less vacation time (more stress)

-Expensive education (starting life with high debt)

-Greater Debt Overall

-Higher Bankruptucy rates (see above on debts)

-Less freedom (drug tests, surveillence)

-Misinformed citizenry (Fox News, Right/Left wing media)

-An uneducated population

-Corrupt politicians

-Crushing Debt

-etc, etc, etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone, but especially those of you who reside outside of America and can provide objective viewpoints.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Workers and businesses negotiate the terms of their contracts. If you can't get a job in a relatively free economy, you have brain damage and can collect disability if you purchased insurance.

You are assuming that the workers can afford insurance.  Or are able to qualify for insurance.  You are giving businesses and insurance companies to much credit for compassion.

SS,

How could someone not afford insurance? If you cannot afford something from birth, then your parents should not have had you and they might not have if the government didn't subsidize irresponsible human multiplication. In a relatively free market, no able-bodied person should be without a job. I'm not saying there wouldn't be details to 'iron out', but it is immoral to start from a culture of need and take from others who earn. That is first! Not enslaving other people.

I am not giving business or insurance companies credit for something only individuals can do, show compassion.

??? It is your fault if your parents could not afford to have you???

Do you ever go to McDonalds, go to the grocers or have someone take your stinky trash from your residence? Do you want to pay them double, or triple their income? Because they are usually getting minimum wage and cannot afford insurance. Should they have "done better" "made better choices" "did not make the right choices" maybe, but if they all did then who is going to take your stinky trash away so cheaply?

Becky,

Even though it is apparent that you already understand what is happening, you wouldn't even believe how many patients I see in the emergency room who have gold teeth, multiple sizable tattoos, new shoes, new watch, more than a couple kids, cigarettes, IPhone, etc., that don't have medical insurance. They come see me because the private medical doctor will, rightly so, not accept them. They believe they deserve this care and have an attitude any time anyone asks why they don't have a primary care doctor or why they haven't got insurance. AND, many, many patients receive social security for disability they don't have. I ask them in a very organized and purposefully designed way, many questions to help assertain how I can help them best medically. I incidently  very often find out that they have no chronic disease, yet claim them. I catch at least 15 a week, guaranteed. It goes something like this: "So, you have had a tooth ache for 3 days? Before that you were walking, talking and thinking OK, without pain? No problems breathing, chest pain, nausea/vomiting, pain/numbness/tingling down any extremities? Any problems going to the bathroom?" "Uh, no doc." "Do you take any medications?" "No doc." "You have no issues, other than a tooth ache for 3 days?" "That's it doc." "OK, married? Live with anyone? Drink? Smoke? Have a job?" "Uh, no to all doc." "Oh, why don't you work?" "I'm on disability." "Why?" "A car accident 20 yrs ago and I have chronic back pain." "Why didn't you tell me about that?" "I forgot."

It is unbelievable how many people come to the ER and inappropriately use up so much of working people's money. These left wing emos have no idea what they are talking about. They alone should pay for their fellow freeloaders. Actually, I don't believe that. Everyone should pay for their own shit.

So, because there are people who milk the system then the whole system is bad?
I think the studies have been done and yes, there is a lot of welfare fraud.

SS,

The system is bad because it can be milked. Just like it's the special interest of government being at fault giving companies unfair advantage that makes them corrupt, not just because they are successful. You bleeding heart liberals just get so upset when someone makes their own money and wants to keep it. It's not a few bad apples. It's billions and billions of lost wasted dollars so you can feel good about helping others, when you are really bringing us all down.

Is your reading comprehension broken?  Who here is saying that the system is perfect?

SS,

What's with your stupid insults. Are you not better than that? When I call you a thief it is because you are advocating taking my money without my permission. My reading capability is not an issue. No one, as far as I know has said the system needs to be perfect, but it is designed to be abused. The money goes to arbitrary special interest groups and is dispensed at the whims of corrupt politicians as all politicians must be if they are to get money from all citizens for a few special citizens who are needy.

Corporation are needy?  Thanks for the reminder, Park.
According to the Cato Institute, the U.S. federal government spent $92 billion on corporate welfare during fiscal year 2006. Recipients included BoeingXerox,IBMMotorolaDow Chemical, and General Electric.[6]

might I also add that of the 685.1 billion dollars spent on the defense budget, only 154.2 billion went to the people actually in the military.  The rest went to private organizations for R&D, procurement, construction, operations and maintenance. 

oh, and don't forget the other 20billion per year through tax loopholes thats never collected as it should be... but then again, from a certain perspective, thats a good thing isn't it?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service