Short Read

America: The Grim Truth

Some of the claims in the article are untrue (70% of taxes going to the military) and others are just nuts (the government is going to lock the place down...they don’t want their “recruits” escaping. They don’t want YOU escaping)

However, let's take a look at the primary claim:

"You (Americans) have the worst quality of life in the developed world – by a wide margin"

and some of the supporting claims

Americans have:

-less access to health care

-poorer diets (less healthy)

-Low quality food (more processed, more contamination, etc)

-More reliance on meds

-Less vacation time (more stress)

-Expensive education (starting life with high debt)

-Greater Debt Overall

-Higher Bankruptucy rates (see above on debts)

-Less freedom (drug tests, surveillence)

-Misinformed citizenry (Fox News, Right/Left wing media)

-An uneducated population

-Corrupt politicians

-Crushing Debt

-etc, etc, etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone, but especially those of you who reside outside of America and can provide objective viewpoints.

Views: 209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And in the 18th century world that you wish still existed.  Much of it was a common occurrence.
No, to be honest, I would rather be alive now, for I think, obvious reasons. Simply the idea that individuals get to keep the fruits of their labor, as much as possible. Common occurrence? I don't get it.
Study your history.  Otherwise don't boost certain times periods as what to emulate.  You will just come off as  uneducated.
That's productive. I'm not worried about coming off uneducated. I know I'm not. I never said that the 18th century was great. Just talking about individual rights and how those freedoms are being taken away from Americans more and more.
Then when mention the 18th century at all? For those of us who have studied what daily life was back then,  is obvious you have no idea what their "freedom" was like.
Again, I am not now and did not ever suggest that life was better then. Their relative respect for individual rights deserves applause.

"Arbitrary"?  No, I don't think so.  This is pretty much the end game of what you are asking for isn't it (minus the christian prayers)?

Says you. Conjecture.
This noting but a huge appeal to emotion.  I think it's unfair to lump libertarians into one group and say we are all aligned with corporate interest.  I would identify as a libertarian as I believe in individual rights, but I do not see businesses as an individual.  Our current situation is far more complex then this copypasta of some chain email you got.

I cannot think of a more degraded and immoral way of life than that.  How selfish and self-centered can any one person be.

The entire idea of helping others came from family groups to join together to make a stronger bond and work together and prosper.  With talk like yours, the entire system fails from the ground up.

Willow,

When you wish to take my money because you think you need it, you are being as selfish as I am. Selfishness is not bad. Neither is compassion, respect, sharing, giving, helping, philanthropy or charity, but forced sacrifice is bad.

Having a social conscience is never bad.  I do not need your money, but the countries need the support of ALL citizen to operate.  You think you are so important that you can opt out and keep everything for yourself. That is the epitome of self center egotism.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service