I thought a few of you might enjoy talking about a thread on FB...I so want to reply to this but it would only piss them off and who needs that!

She posted "It's one thing to have an opinion. It's quite another to pass a verdict. It's one thing to have a conviction; it's another to convict the person. It's one things to be repulsed by the acts of someone. It's another to entirely claim that I am superior or that they are beyond the grace of God-No one is."

I assume she is referring to the trial. Personally I think she is guilty of killing her but there is not enough evidence to convict her. I know that pisses people off but I don't think they understand the justice system not how a jury works...but I digress...

Then "It's our job to hate the sin. But it's God's job to deal with the sinner. God has called us to despise evil, but He's never called us to despise the evildoer."

Then "‎***Copied from the book In The Grip Of Grace****"

Then another woman posts "Also as much as people may not like to hear it or not believe it, to God a sin is a sin....my sin is no greater or less than someone else's. Lying, cheating, stealing, murder....alll the same dgree to God, it is man that has put ranking on sin"

Even if there was a god I really don't understand why everybody thinks they know what he would think? you know?? Kind pisses me off even more. It also pisses me off because the original status update makes me think that she agrees with me kinda but have turned it into the god thing which makes it unable for me to comment on it. Ho Hum. What did you think of the trial and are you tired of the god comments around it? (I didn't watch it or anything, just noticed everyone else obsessed with it!)

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sorry typos!
Unrelated to the trial, but everyone thinks God thinks what they think.  Social scientists have found correlations between beliefs of God and individuals, and if you change an individual's beliefs, it also changes what he or she thinks God thinks.  It's actually a clever set of studies.  I've always thought that people just use the bible to justify what they already think.
Yep, looking at a hot butt is definitely the same as going on a mass killing spree. >.X  There is no logic involved in religious views. But I do believe the Bible commands to obey the law of the land, and definitely does also condone death as punishment. So I'm not sure what she's rambling about.

So far as my reading of it goes, picking up sticks on a sabbath is as bad as murder, according to the wholly babble.

"You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do." - [from Usenet]

As for me, I do not accept the idea that there is anything such thing as "sin."  The term "sin" is always defined in the context of a magic sky person, and breaking one or more of "Da Boss's" rules whether, as Brian correctly points out, it is murder or gathering sticks on the Sabbath.

George Carlin once pointed out that two guys, at the same lunch counter each eating a cheeseburger, were both committing different "sins." One, a Catholic, was having meat on Friday during lent, and the other, Jewish, eating meat mixed with milk.  No generally accepted societal moral code was broken, no violence done, no evil perpetrated on another human being, yet both are "sins" but for entirely different reasons.

When someone speaks of sin, all I hear is "Da Boss don't like it" because some other human arbitrarily said so.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to roland707's discussion Thoughts on Buddhism?
20 minutes ago
Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
34 minutes ago
Warren Jappe commented on Steve Shives's video
1 hour ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
2 hours ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
3 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
3 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
4 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service