I've always thought that the definitive finding of life on other planets would increase the number of atheists. At the least it would have many people questioning their religious texts. Do others think this would make a difference to current believers?

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately, I agree it won't make a difference. They will an argue (I can hear it now) about how it just goes to show the greatness of god, who, in his infinite wisdom, created all life in the universe. The bible is for OUR salvation, we don't need to concern ourselves about other life, as god has a plan that we won't know until we reach heaven, and so on.  Scientists are now saying they expect to find a goldilocks planet by 2014. Still won't change things for them. I have to say, I think NC is right. Religion is going to stick around for a long time. I think a remnant will be with us forever. Even say 10,000 years from now. Mores the pity.

I, for one, welcome our theocratic overlords from Planet Blzixics.

I think if intelligent life was found else where in the universe it would stregnthen the beliefs of many theists, and we would see a large amount of them trying to send missionaries out to teach E.T. about "the good news".

If they looked like the aliens in A.C. Clarke's, Childhood's End they may not.  The aliens looked like Satan.

Hey, I forgot about them. But they were eventually accepted, even loved. Great story btw.

Comment saurons-nous de la vie dans d'autres systèmes solaires?

Radio? L'analyse chimique? photographies?

Je ne sais pas mais je suis sûr que vous ne rencontrerez jamais un alien.

After all these comments I've lost my small hope that all the holy books' myths would be shattered. Since fundamentalists preach strict following of the texts so that evolution is wrong for them, I thought alien life could never be reconciled with the bible. I now believe you're right, they'd find a way to make it fit. We'd have mega churches on the moon and Mars. At least space exploration and the strong interest in science that goes with it would have a resurgence.

And start an intergalactic holy war, since they worship Zenoo, the one and true god of the universe. Or they convert us. Whichever.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service