After Work Rant

Okay, I’m upset. So I need to get it off my chest, and what better way than to rant to you guys, put my thoughts down, try to gain some equilibrium and peace.

As many of you know, I’m a former paramedic of 30+ years. One of my former partners was brought in day before yesterday in full cardiac arrest. We ran calls together as exclusive partners for 3 years, and off and on until I moved from the ambulance into the hospital as a cardiac tech. He has survived, is currentely extubated, off all drugs, and is being closely monitored. Enough about that. What is irking me is his preacher. I understand his wife and son, clinging to the notion of a miracle from god. Hell, even the doctors on the case said it was a miracle, one going so far as to say she was only the eyes and hands of jesus, that he had worked through her. Fine, give the credit to a non-existent entity. I was just happy he was getting better.

Anyway, this preacher asked for everyone to gather around the bed so a prayer could be given. Needless to say, I did not participate. All the family did, and the nurses, and the doctor who was there at the time (who happens to be a hindu, but what the hell, right ?).

Afterward, this preacher approached me at the desk where I was monitoring the telemetry from. Said he understood that we had been partners on the ambulance together. I said yes. He then asked me what I had against religion and the power of prayer, as I had seen this miracle with my own eyes.

Closing my eyes and counting to 5, I then stated that I didn’t discuss religion or politics at work. I was not about to get into the furball with this sanctimonious, sniveling, hypocritical, specious, fallacious, spurious, counterfeit, fake, deluded windbag, whose doctrine of drivel, immorality, and falsehoods has driven so much hurt and pain through the body of mankind throughout the ages.

I know I was red faced by this time from holding it in, but goddamnit all, this was not the place for confrontation! I had a friend recovering from something very serious, and he and his family needed calm and peace for recovery, which will take some time as some mental deficits are apparent.

He shook his head at me,and said some friend you are, and started walking away. I rose from my chair, my vision closed down to just him, and still I held it. I just had to get this off my chest. I am so torn and frustrated right now, I’m having trouble thinking straight. But this has helped.

I know some of you won’t agree with the way I handled it, some will. But at least I can vent to you. And if I am not at work, and I happen to see this prick, I plan to unload with both barrels, reload, and have at again!

Thanks guys for listening.

Views: 178

Replies to This Discussion

I would love the chance to have someone like that around to have a conversation with.  I might just tell him that even he doesn't believe what he says he does.  "Hey Preacher." "If you are badly hurt in an accident today, would you like us to direct the ambulance to the church or to the hospital?"  Da . . .   You can tell what people really believe by how they act more than what they say.  So they believe in the scientific solutions and show it with their actions, but they still might keep their fingers crossed, just in case.

It seems this is ground we cover again and again.  We want to credit the people whose skills, dedication, and experience make the seeming miracles possible.  THEY cant' see anything but god and Jebus in any of it.  And as to that preacher's comment, yeah ... you ARE "some friend" ... because you give credit where credit is due, and not in some mythical load of noise that had nothing to do with the saving of your partner.  If I were to tell that bible thumper anything, it would be that.

You ARE some friend, Tony.  Don't let anyone tell you different.

Tony, you are clearly a very fine friend.  We are lucky we don't have a heart attack with all the gall we have to swallow.  I sometimes feel like a pressure cooker.  I try to keep the peace in the face of similar idiocy.  I'd rather explode.

I'm glad you feel better this morning Tony.  Everyone here is right.  YOU did the correct thing.  You are a much better person than that idiot preacher who said that to you.  You are a wonderful friend and you have many friends.  Look at all the people here who support you!  I just wanted to say this again, because I got so mad when I read what that preacher said to you that I wanted to tell him off myself.  Just remember, even if we aren't with you in person, we all have your back.

I can't add anything more here, but my husband had a massive heart attack in 1988, then another in 1993 with a stroke to follow. Other than losing his driver's license due to impaired eyesight he lives pretty normally.....AND.....HE IS STILL HERE!!!! No praying, no clergy, no church, & no well-meaning religious friends!!!

How dare that brainwashed idiot judge your friendship with your partner & his family!!! People like that should keep their crap out of the hospital/public arena, & put it in the damn churches that they begged the money to build, but of course they have ''privilege''!!! GEESH!!!!!!! 

Yes, this happens too often. Can one devise a strategy to let the offender know without upsetting the patient and family? Silence accomplishes nothing. "Be the cause in the action!" My daughter's phrase that means if you have a problem, work it. Think, plan, explore, make decisions and then take action. Of course the final step in this is to evaluate outcomes: did it do what you wanted it to do?  

1. Define your problem.

2. Define your goal.

3. Explore options.

4. Take action. 

5. Evaluate outcome. 

The part that pisses me off is the, "..can we all join hands in prayer.." The arrogance of that bible thumping toad - to assume that all present are as frigging brain washed as he is an in your face insult. But, you showed the restraint of a Buddhist monk. I think I could restrain myself in what should be a justifiable ass whupping. But my mouth would be working overtime and the jebus-toad would hear some chapter and verse that will melt his earwax.
My anti-theism grows stronger.

Jim, I experience the same thing. From atheist-wanta-be to atheist to anti-theist. There is just too much power in the hands of fundamentalist religions. 

I agree with your response. It was professional. You're not obligated to play theistic head games, just because you care.

Hello everyone. It's 8:35 p.m. and just getting home. Thank you all for your kind words and support. Much better day today. I have read all your responses, and am overwhelmed. I just can't say thank you enough.

My partner is getting better. Still a long way to go, of course, but he's making it. I was in with him and his wife today. She said to him, I love you, which he was able to mumble back. He then looked at me and raised his eyebrows, to which I said, yeah, I love you too, just not like her. He laughed, held out his hand, and I took it. We held hands for a couple minutes and smiled, then laughed at each other. His wife came over, hugged me and said thank you for everything you have done, kissed my cheek and said I love you too. Made me tear up. Wonderful.

Anyway, thanks again to you all for letting me rant and vent and listening to me. It really does help to have friends who understand and got my back.

Oh, and if I ever DO see that man somewhere, I do plan on having a word or two or five-hundred with him!

Tony that is good to hear.

Sounds like things are looking better for you.

Your friend and his wife sound awesome and they are lucky to have you too! Glad things are better today!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
36 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
50 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
3 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service