"Add another quote, and make it a gallon"-Captain Spaulding (aka Groucho Marx)

Just pondering, what quotes,sayings, words of wisdom, pearls of great price, inspire you? We all know words can hurt, can degrade, cause damage. But what does it for you, the ones you hold dear, go back to, apply to you reason for continuing this quest we call life? They can be funny, (as Groucho in above header), goosebump causing, non-sequitor, cause you to well up each time you hear them, yes even derogatory, self effacing, whatever. But what I'm really looking for is that spark from that quote, that saying, that feeling that you can't describe. One of mine is from the comic strip 'Pogo' wherein he says " We has met the enemy, and he is us". I know this has been said by others in different ways, but this basically distills it down for me. From Gandi,  "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it". I like that. Anyway, any qoute, saying from any source  even( gasp, the horror)religious. Remember, any source. Oh and don't forget the source of some of the greatest sayings of all, anonymous, or as I like to say "common sense from the common people". Thanks.

Views: 455

Replies to This Discussion

I suppose my favorite quote is by Thomas Paine:

"The world is my country, humanity are my bretheren, and to do good deeds is my religion."

"Theists are afraid people will think for themselves; atheists are afraid they won't." 

Dan Barker, Godless P.216

"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter."  Mark Twain

I have known this since I was a child (when Disney and Warner Bros. made some hilarious anti-Hitler cartoons), but I didn't know that Twain said it.  Smart man.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service