"Add another quote, and make it a gallon"-Captain Spaulding (aka Groucho Marx)

Just pondering, what quotes,sayings, words of wisdom, pearls of great price, inspire you? We all know words can hurt, can degrade, cause damage. But what does it for you, the ones you hold dear, go back to, apply to you reason for continuing this quest we call life? They can be funny, (as Groucho in above header), goosebump causing, non-sequitor, cause you to well up each time you hear them, yes even derogatory, self effacing, whatever. But what I'm really looking for is that spark from that quote, that saying, that feeling that you can't describe. One of mine is from the comic strip 'Pogo' wherein he says " We has met the enemy, and he is us". I know this has been said by others in different ways, but this basically distills it down for me. From Gandi,  "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it". I like that. Anyway, any qoute, saying from any source  even( gasp, the horror)religious. Remember, any source. Oh and don't forget the source of some of the greatest sayings of all, anonymous, or as I like to say "common sense from the common people". Thanks.

Views: 466

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, William. He sure had a way with expressing things. Wonder what the old deist would think if he saw how things were now, huh?

he would and Im sure, he's rolling over in his grave.

I was just reminded of another one that applies to this AN group, as well as the greater community:

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately" - Ben Franklin

Indeed my friend. Indeed.

One of my favorite quotes, by J.B.S. Haldane:

I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
  • Possible Worlds and Other Papers (1927), p. 286

And one from Spider Robinson:

Life will continue to suck until somebody finds the "Undo" key.

The quotes are all quite inspiring. One of my favorites is from Voltaire: 

"The perfect is the enemy of the good" or "The best is the enemy of the good" 

The original:  "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." 

These words help me not to waste so much time nit picking and to get things done even if they aren't perfect. This quote has some things in common with your Ghandi quote Tony Carroll. 

Forgot to add one from a favorite boss of yore about higher ups that demand things on a short deadline:

"If they want it bad, they get it bad."  

Yes it does. What has always impressed me about quotes is how people, common or "famous", find a way to distill an idea down to a few simple words or phrases, sometimes contradictory, sometimes saying the same things, but bringing a view different than the one you are familiar with. Really brings a new perspective. Thanks, annet, and you too sk8eyecat. Peace.

My favorite curmudgeon is H. L. Mencken .

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.

For centuries theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.

Oh, my! YESSS!  I love curmudgeons!  (Is "curmudgeon" masculine, or gender-neutral?  I think I are one...)

Curmudgeonettes ??

Heee-heeee-heeeee!  I just had a "vision" of a bunch elderly ex-chorus girls attempting to do a kick line.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service