What is everyones thoughts about the fact that all of our discussions are not private on the nexus.....

try typing in your username and atheist in google....

if your like me everything you wrote on this site jumps out for all to see.....

only way to maintain privacy is to not use your real name. think this is something we need to stress to newcomers. once the bots have you it is pretty hard to get them cleaned off, if not impossible.

I am not a privacy freak but i can tell you I dont want to publish my non belief to anyone but those I, not google, chooses.

What are you thoughts

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love your attitude Xavier!  The older I get, the less I care what people think of me.
Don't use your legal name online, as much as possible. This is good advice, it will save you a lot of trouble.
When I signed up I did think it was a bit odd to have them ask for my full name but no username.  I entered my full name and two days later while googling my name I started popping up.  I appreciate that some people are probably more comfortable with it than others.  I for one wish to control who knows and how they find out.  I went back in and changed my username.  This should be VERY clearly stated when signing up!!!  I almost choked on my diet coke when my name popped up several times under "atheist nexus".
I SO agree Tom.  I am naive I guess, but I didn't think they'd actually put my full-name out there.  I guess I don't care, but it should have been MY choice.
This is one reason I choose to use a slightly altered name for the public boards. We live in a small community & my kids go to a church daycare. My wife and I have great job's, (she's in Pharma's and I am a maint. tech). I believe that all of this would be jeopardized if I was outed. I was never a religous zealot when I was a beilever so I really don't feel the need to knock on every door now to convert someone or let them know about me. It's not fair for me to put my kids at risk for something they have no control over. I found the truth and I think most people will if they continue to look and refused the brainwashing.
I once used a facebook application for something quite embarrassing as a joke, thank god no one will ever google me, because I would literally die. But i dont give a crap that they publish my opinions on atheism.
Although just now while I was googling myself I learned Anne Rice mentioned me on her Twitter, which was pretty cool.

After reading this I "googled" myself. It would appear at this point the whole world (or at least the very small portion of it that cares to check) knows I am an atheist. I like people knowing. For the most part, the people that have a problem with it use that information to stay away from me. And I welcome and enjoy the discussions I have with the ones who want to confront me about it. They are usually respectful (occasionally not) and I tell people honestly that while I respect them, I don't respect their beliefs (nor do I expect them to respect mine). 

With that being said...I understand that being outed as an atheist has (sadly) not been a positive experience for everyone. 

I've heard that companies search Facebook to see what hiring candidates post on their pages, so it's not too far-fetched to think that certain employers may search to see if a candidate is atheist.  Might not be legal, but could still be done.  Thanks for your post.  I did find my name when I googled it and I've just changed my setting accordingly; don't know if that will help since I'm already out there.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service