I keep hearing a lot about how all atheists are pro-abortion. I am an atheist. I have been since age 14. I personally believe in a woman’s right to choose but this is my personal belief. I do not believe that atheism dictates pro-abortion. Are there any atheists out there who are anti-abortion and how do you feel about President Obama’s position on abortion?

Tags: Abortion!, Discussion, abortion, on

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...not for the time being.

Heh, heh, heh.
Ok I'll heat things up. :)

Strong opinions are welcome as long as they are backed up.

Why are most atheists Pro-Choice and on the flip side most conservative religious types Pro-Choice it is because for the overwhelming majority this a rationalized cultural position where most of the arguments are superficial throw away lines parroted by their supporters on both side. Which isn’t surprising who has the time to read up on most of the lit on the subject.

It is more to luck than good reasoning that Pro-choice happen to be right.

IMO many Pro-Choice don't think they have to much thought into it because since most of the other conservative religious views are such a load of crap, & by default they must be wrong on abortion as well.

Why can I say this?

Two main points. If Pro-Choice was consistent on their reasoning for their position it would allow infanticide and the use of many post partum non person humans as experiment fodder and body banks, plus no man would pay child support.

The other reason is that to concentrate on us being ontologically ‘persons ‘ it results in some really screwed up consequences.

Whether you know it or not many of the philosophical accounts that justify abortion mean your identity isn’t as a fully functioning Homo Sapiens, –though the Constitutive account does, but it is mixed up in other ways- nor is that you in your early baby photos, let alone in your pre natal ultra sound.

It may come as a shock but one of the results of trying to justify us as persons these philosophers have reclassified you as a brain and not the organism Homo Sapiens. Which apart from any other consequence means your children aren’t your children because simply brains don’t have sex organs or have sex. You could consider rather that you own the rest of your body and that the children are your property but they aren’t genetically yours. What a nice position to take.

Much of the philosophy is tied up to your Ontological identity but hey if you want to think you are just a brain and personhood is what counts and justice is important to you, fine lets save countless lives and resources using both prenatals and post partom non person humans as body banks and stop making men pay child support. BTW this doesn't let many conservatives off the hook, many of them are hypocrites on the subject by refusing to help resource mothers if they took away the right to most abortions.

My position is we are fully operational organisms a Homo sapiens with a personhood capacity. Neither Pre-natals and early post partum non person's have the current capacity but do have a latent developmental capacity; so if I think being consistent and not arbitrarily applying moral preference is important, it isn’t actual present personhood capacity that is morally significant but a future capacity. We can then look at sentience but I’ve yet to see any Pro-Choice argument get past this point let alone proceed to sentience.

:)
"It is more to luck than good reasoning that Pro-choice happen to be right."

D'oh that was meant to be Pro-Life which you should have got from the rest of the post. LOL
Who in the world is pro-abortion?
Political parties that don't exist but should -

The Recreational Abortion Party
I just picked up a box of Fetus Helper today. Mmm... mmm... good!
ROTFLMAO!!!
Do they have a vegetarian variety of that? Maybe Tofetus helper?
Yes, Cletus the Tofetus heartily recommends it!
Simon JM writes:
If Pro-Choice was consistent on their reasoning for their position it would allow infanticide and the use of many post partum non person humans as experiment fodder and body banks, plus no man would pay child support."

Evidence please.

So far as I've seen the consistent line drawn by the pro-choice crowd is that so long as the fetus can not reasonably survive on its own outside the womb (breathing, basic infant body functions), it is property of/part of the mother's body and the mother's body/choice has precedence.

If the Christians want to read their bible even further, not only does it not speak out against abortion but it curiously draws this exact same line; giving value to a person as a person once s/he takes their first breath outside of the womb.
Are you trying to say that the Pope is fallible?!
Dear zeus NO! The pope is clearly infallible, only the infallible ride in huge bulletproof condoms.

Also, yeah, it's called pro-choice.
Pro-abortion would suggest it's mandatory.

... not that I'm against punching hillbilly women in the stomach. That could be fun. Mandatory fun.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service