I know this isn't a big deal for many people who actually consider themselves true agnostics or atheists, but I don't. However, I find it a little strange that this question is being asked on your personal profile to valdiate your "right" as a member. I know I am not the only one who isn't a clearcut atheist/agnostic here (there are some theists also I believe) and maybe these questions could be changed, perhaps removed?

I myself find it a little weird though as a pagan that I must press either atheist or agnostic as options or I theorically am not valid as a member here. I mean, we aren't THAT anal about it, right? I remember when this site was pretty new also there was a discussion about allowing theists who acted reasonable into our discussions and I still see no reason why not. I am not personally offended, I just find it strange.

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the idea. a non-combative "Ask an atheist" forum.
Remember, though, when you plant a seed of skepticism, you must be prepared to nurture it with waters of understanding and confidence.
An "Ask an atheist" forum might be just the place to nourish the efforts of those struggling to free themselves from the bonds of faith.
You can be good when you want to funky chicken. You haven't even asked me to refer to them once as fucking morons in the submisison. ;-)
LeaT, your behavior has been exemplary so far, and I'd hate to see you go. I haven't seen any evidence of you pushing your beliefs on others here, nor belittle our non-belief. I also don't feel like you should be afraid to, if asked directly, express your beliefs here, especially if you aren't presenting them as absolute certainty.

You may in fact fit the bill of Agnostic. The impression I've gotten from you is that you don't believe it is possible to definitively prove the existence of any gods or other religion-based convictions, including your own. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to put words in your mouth.
I agree, I wouldn't like to see Lea go either.
Well, I just feel maybe, that my uncertainty would be stronger if I would be a true agnostic (like my friend who even reasons to the point that we cannot know ANYTHING. That's a little too extreme for me.). It's more like how Richard Dawkins' puts his assession about god: there is a chance he is wrong. I assess in a similar manner there is a chance I am wrong but I will believe until proven otherwise.

In addition, I should clarify I don't believe in some random metaphysical mumbojumbo, it's more similar to Taoism/Spinoza's god, basically a strong reverence for nature which could, by a low chance, maybe be explained with Einstein's theory of relativity, namely that mass = energy, since I believe the universe to be more of a heap of energy.

I am at least by default, somewhat spiritual.

I should maybe also clarify, I am a member because a friend invited me (who is pretty more or less, a very strong atheist). I did however find out this place to be a great place of debate, hence I would like to stay even though I don't feel I am as clearcut as I maybe should be.

And of course I would never push my beliefs on anyone! Sure, I can debate them or question them, I just saw the atheist/agnostic part not too long time ago when I was editing my profile and it wasn't there before.

While I certainly agree with you that theists can be a pain in the butt (and rightfully so), my impression of theists is that some might be quite reasonable too, although it's obvious a middle-ground can most likely never be achieved. So therefore, for me anyway, I don't mind theists around although I can understand why you (as meaning the remaining population of AN) might resent the idea.
I should maybe also clarify, I am a member because a friend invited me (who is pretty more or less, a very strong atheist). I did however find out this place to be a great place of debate, hence I would like to stay even though I don't feel I am as clearcut as I maybe should be.

LeaT,

Stop worrying about it. You are completely accepted here and no one has a problem with you. Get used to it.
Seconded.
Felch, I am aware of it, I am more generally speaking for other people as well.
If other people follow your example, they shouldn't have a problem either.
Yes, I believe so as well, but a rule is a rule. Either it is enforced or should be rewritten to then allow exceptions, or at least, clarify that while a vast majority are atheists/agnostics, other people are welcome as long they show appropriate behavior.

Regardless, I guess it's good to have a discussion about this once in a while, because it's always good to check if your "work ethics" are actually followed through in reality.

Just like in a company, it's easy to say that you stand for equality, fairness and high production while not living up to those standards as the company changes over time.
LeaT, as far as I am concerned you are an agnostic.
Brother Richard has spoken! Amen! Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster! ;-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service