It was suggested that we always talk of atheist things and maybe should talk about other things. OK. I'm doing my first post of this and we can see where it goes.

On Easter I was working outside and ended up talking to my neigbors who were outside working on a car. Peg, the owner of the car, started reminiscing about my parents, when they lived at the place I have now, when we were all teens together years ago, going back into the 1970's with many things, even getting into a man she used to date who ended up later married into my family down in Texas. She was so right on everything here into every detail except one. Then it happened.

She recalled how my mother was her teacher in high school. This went on with detail, and she was so sorry that my mother got cancer and died. It all made a good story with one exception.

My mother never taught school anywhere in any fashion ever! I kept quiet about it though, and just listened and talked. I let Peg have her belief. So what I am asking here is this. Are people in general like this and their minds work this way, or is this sort of how a theist would think? Does this sort of thing happen to all of us?

I'm open for comments and opinions and you can leave your story also.

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael:

That's hilariously weird! :)  I remember (or think that I do) when I was about 3 dreaming of being a very tiny thing on a giant staircase.  Grains of salt as big as houses were tumbling down the stair like ice blocks on the Khumbu icefall and I was scrambling to avoid them.  That dream came back to me the first winter that I climbed Mt. Rainier alone and watched avalanches slide past.

}}}}

Thats a wild and scary dream Ted.  When I was young, I had a lot of scary dreams of monsters, but I clearly remember one that was strange, but not frightening.  Me and my sister were outside my grandmothers house, when she ran up the stairs to the sidewalk, turned into a camel and ran down the sidewalk.

SB:

I wholeheartedly agree that the memes we choose to pass on should reflect values we've learned and not just amoral memories.  While I always strive to be truthful, my telling of tales is different now than it was 50 years ago because of what I've learned in the interim and how that colors my memories.  I try to accurately tell my 10 year old nephew what I thought and experienced at his age, but don't claim that my reactions to those experiences were in any way "right".  The great contrast between his experience and mine means that we view each other as sort of apocryphal figures with stories of maybe some value from a different time and circumstance.

He has no experience (thankfully) of the Ku Klux Klan, and I do.  I know what a cross burning on my lawn means.  It still evokes overwhelming emotions in me, but there's no reason that it should for him and that's good -- a little progress.  My tales of it tell him that such things are not just abstract history but realities that touched people he knows.  I missed by a generation meeting my ancestors who had fought in the American Civil War, and only talked to their progeny -- my grandparents and great or great-great aunts & uncles.  A generation before that half of our family was whisked off on the Trail of Tears, and hardly anyone remains to tell that story.

We do the best we can, and make it a moral imperative to try to keep the oral histories right.  But the stories evolve or devolve, depending on perspective, into what we today can relate to.  My nephew, sitting and fiddling, incomprehensively to me, with his iPad, has no reason to feel as directly as I have what the KKK or the Trail of Tears was.  He faces things of which I have little understanding.  He has a link that is me as I had a link with my great, great uncles who lived it.  This is what cultural memes are -- attempts to conserve what we've learned and evaluate it in modern context.

}}}}

That is pretty funny haha xD

But the way I think of memory is like a compressed image file on a computer. When the image is compressed, it loses a little bit of the quality and it just fills in the gaps when it needs the picture again.

Compression is a great method to save space, and if we only have one brain, it would be efficient to metaphorically compress our memories and decompress them when we need them again.

That's a pretty good analogy.  My Dear Little Sister thinks that she remembers Mom crying when President Kennedy was assassinated.  She was 17 months old at the time, and maybe does have some memory of the event.  More likely, the tale of it built a memory that seems real and becomes more solid each time it's pulled up.  I think that I clearly remember things that happened when I was 2 or 3 years old, and maybe I really do.  Or maybe I've created images in my mind from what I've been told and what I want to be real.  Reality is quite a different thing for a 2 or 3 year old than it is for most adults, or at least adults who aren't intellectually crippled by dogma.

My siblings and l always remember very different things. I read that even though we may share an experience the memories we form from it may be very different. That makes sense to me.
Some things one of us will remember and the others don't. My oldest sisters memories are so different it caused my youngest sister to question whether we were raised in the same family.

60 Minutes just did a show about people who can remember every day of their lives.  The day, the date, what they ate, wore, etc.  The actress Marilou (sp?) Henner, from the show Taxi, was one of them.  They even felt the same way they felt when they remembered that day.

I don't think I'd like that.  I kind of like letting some memories fade...

I've heard of such people and saw Henner talk about it before. She remembers in such

detail that if you check her on it, she has everything there right down to the weather and everything.

I have gaps in my memory. Either nothing memorable happened in the gap area, or more likely it was something I wanted to forget.

I struggle to recall my computer passwords. Distant memories - fuhgetaboutit. Although, once in a while a random old memory will surface for no reason. Unfortunately, it's usually one I would prefer to forget.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service