So, we are all nontheists. Okay, but I am fascinated by ESP, and I'll tell you why: you can try it out on the internet. Prior to the internet, I would write my predictions down and seal them in an envelope. Once I opened the envelope, I would have to have a reason to open it. I'd forgotten what was in there. I never opened it. I lost it. Now, I just post something, a page or two mentioning all kinds of things that pop into my head, from a fire to a baseball bat to a celebrity's name, and boom! It posts with the date and everything. I can easily go back and say, "Look, two days before this person dies, I put his name in my blog". It is fun!

If you think I'm a troll, no: Jesus saves Green Stamps.

I am searching through books for the usages regarding psychic power. Authors do it since they are courageous. You could be afraid of what people might think, which is that you're crazy. However, if you go ahead, you get a lot of words: prognostication, foretelling, foreseeing, hypnosis, etc., and, there are noncontroversial ways to talk about it. We all like the odd coincidence.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And it still makes Hera mad to think about it; she whacks Zeus with a comet.
Second time we've seen that in 400 years. Sagan is pictured hereabouts in front of an image of the planet we now call Jupiter. Sagan is of the "good cop/bad cop" mold with Teller.

Cs, cesium #55, alkali metal, Carl Sagan
Sb, antimony # 51, Group V(A), Steve Billinghurst, Asset 8585586094, dob 4-16-52
Te, tellurium #52, chalcogen, Edward Teller, father of the H-bomb, Ivy Mike (1952)

I don't know how you do the deal of saying here, do your thing, and have the "here" link to the page. But, this is Jupiter definitely slapped:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/07/21/BAKE...

I was predisposed to counter the adulation heaped on Cronkite, Echo seemed apt, and so that name dictated use of the Greek pantheon. BTW, planets change position and so are the apparition of gods going about doing something immortals do. So, yeah, I would guess that planet was Zeus's. Now, Mars, I don't know, but I'm guessing that's Roman. But, if you read, you are going to see many more names with a nice ring to them, like Bellerophon, and it's better to pronounce them in the ancient way, not for any reason of superstition, just to see how men talked. Or, leave my little prediction out of it and go with, "How strange right after the fortieth anniversary of the moon landing a comet hits a planet."
Okay, team. With respect to a prediction that a comet strike on Jupiter is imaged, I have the "gauge readings", that is a time something was posted, for four entries. I need a fifth entry of the time when I hit, "Add Reply" today. That will be my local time. If the time posted comes up different, all posts should be standardized to that time. Then, a sixth post will be compared to Canberra time, which is 17 hours ahead of mine, so that we can see how my predictive post compares in time to the discovery. I think I posted after the discovery. However, the discovery was communicated to me on the NBC Nightly News at 5:30 P.M. in San Diego, GMT-7. I think that was Monday, July 20. The occurrence (a word we use for the visit of a comet) itself was a half-rotation or so of Jupiter on its axis before the discovery, and that has a time. The self-appointed function of the members of Atheist Nexus is not an empty set and so far as I have elucidated it contains the word, "dismissal". I will enter the fifth line by looking at the clock in my hallway and putting that time together with today's date. It is Friday, the table follows:

7-8-09 9:18 P.M. in Water Cooler. I started this thread.

7-9-09 11:00 A.M. I posted text containing the hidden name "Hera".

7-19-09 11:33 P.M. before

7-21-09 9:10 P.M. after

7-24-09 8:58 A.M. now, PST
I would love to buy ESP, but I don't. I know someone said it before but if you do have respect for science just atleast try the basic scientific method.

1. Ask a Question
2. Background Research for your question
3. Do a Hypothesis
4. Test your Hypothesis with an experiement
5. Analyze your data and come to a conclusion
6. Communicate your results

I really don't think you are insane or stupid. I just think you are a bit misinformed. I had a fascination with psychics when I was younger. Unfortunately, there was no circumstantial evidence that has ever impressed me about psychics, esp, foretelling, etc.
Thank you for your considered reply. I am striking through my formal complaint about so-called "dangerous minds". You have anticipated that gambit and forestall some such.

The deal was going to be that we rehash here philosophical questions and solve little, while in our name the finger is on "the button" that ends the world. Now, the creation of resentful ppl may continue, of course. Our last communique to Imperial Japan said to surrender or we would continue to bomb her cities.

Changing locale to Hiroshima 1945-1955, there was at first little threat that we would bomb it again; we just didn't have the nukes, so it was not that. It is my belief that the Hiroshimans put up a monument, because I went there and read it. It read in English, but there was no one present who could confirm for me the meaning it seems to convey, and reconstituting it on the internet has been unsuccessful. It seems anyone can put up another monument. The ones I can Google are not the one I read. That one said "the least of you". In Hiroshima, the ppl are of a single mind that this horror should not be repeated. Go figure. I just do not see how the lowest member of society could amount to a hill of beans when it comes to Executive decision-making on countries getting their comeuppance. "I'll be gone, like I said." -Johnny Cash
Some kj's reply triggered a line in my inbox in Gmail. I had checked Gmail because I have trepidation about approaching the A|N site. I don't know; it is just a quirk.

There was no new activity, but if we were having a board meeting and you all wanted to go play golf, I'd keep you there. "Has anybody got anything else? Yes, Steve (rolls eyes)?"

This is Water Cooler. Perhaps that was a wise choice. I do not have too much on atheism itself. Perhaps I will look it up sometime. I want to take what has gone before and eliminate all the superstition and use the comet strike as a point of departure; so, things about science are not science itself, but comets are. I am interested in science. Sometimes I use superstition to mark the suppositional forks in the road on a critique of something scientific which contains a known or suspected flaw, like, it doesn't address a social problem, or it is not a finished theory.

The link from my inbox to A|N led to my profile page, with its warning. "We do not debate the existence of god(s)." I would prefer the word as "God". Surely you do not think anybody is a serious Pagan from a dead civilization. I often use the traditional language English. I can't keep up with Internet raised children. One good facet was the etiology of how I came to this site. Thank you for having members recall the path bringing them here. I came here from "science blogs", and "I am a nontheist", although you will not reveal that to other members. I think I understand. It has to do with paying bills.

Religions are known as systems of orientation and devotion, and you are in turn oriented by the nuts-and-bolts of maintaining the A|N website. You could be devoted, but that is getting into the sacred. Some words are highly taboo on this continuum for this forum. The "nexus" itself may be discordant should the question of spin be raised.

It matters little that man landed on the moon. since years are astronomical, it matters more that this new comet strike happens on the fifteenth anniv. of the last one observed. Shoemaker-Levy was strung out, so various exact times are logged, and perhaps the center-of-mass, with an interpolated time, would be a better datum. Then nothing would cause someone to remark on a coincidence. Both comets hit on the side of Jupiter facing away from us, so, the exact time is harder to pinpoint on that count, too. I am interested in the parts of science which require new equipment.

The law seems to be that Jupiter will shortstop comets so that Earth is not destroyed and civilization has a chance to grow. If you don't mind, where is the trajectory from the ominous Oort Cloud that does impact Earth? Is it steep?
I suggest its possible your clock is stuck at 7:19. (Babbitt Pg3) Or it is possible that you are a troll, but category is irrelevant. Despite your brilliance, you have failed to communicate your position with any evidence to support it. Or perhaps you have and my ignorance has once again failed me, or protected me. I say this without irony. It seems that like so many mystical things this conversation is not actually meant to get anywhere. Perhaps in posting this I myself am a troll, since my only interest is seeing how long the whirling dervish will spin. I suppose when it ends I will have to look up how many things involving Babbitt, Jupiter, Hiroshima, Numerology, occur in the news. Dance.
Sir, you say in your post of "four hours ago" that you are now suggesting the possibility of my clock being stuck at 7:19, and in parentheses we have "Babbitt-pg 3". I clicked on "page 3" (this was page 6), there is something from Babbitt, but it is at 3:19. All I can think of to interpret what you are saying is to look at a clock and see what being stuck on 7:19 might mean. I guess it is a frown.

As I have noticed, ppl will go into a tirade, the gloves come off, and every insult they can think of, they say. The insults pile up on my eardrums, and although each one makes me mad, mad, madder and maddest are not the only possibilities for madness. I will give you 30 days of frowns for each of approx. five insults, if I can break even. I never met you, so an order of magnitude greater is what you are due in midnight (that's my code for the blackest mood).

I used to sit in front of my screen connected to the internet, and I couldn't think of a thing to Google. Right now I have 'whirling dervish'. I can't wait.

The things ppl write are often so trite that I would rather read down the side, hence the numerology. A reiteration of you said, I,T,F,Y,W,A,M,E,N. That is cryptic. Mystical thinking, you say. I think I can look that up. I saw a cartoon today, "G-Force", with a computer mole who said he was factoring a polynomial over a unitary field. That's another thing to look up.

This is not dancing. This is typing, Bob. You are a user who falls into a category, believe me. When you are affronted, you lose control over the higher intellectual powers and attempt to snow ppl with pure gobbledygook. You have no actual background in the natural sciences, physical sciences, whatever. You imagine that there is no way for ppl to tell that you are lying, and that's untrue.

If I were the kind of psychic who made predictions in a given timeframe, I wouldn't do it. I am the warrior type, and by the time my predictions are evident, my enemies are dead. I do not telegraph my attack. So, is there a bullet with your name on it? I don't know that. Not knowing this minute doesn't prove that I am not psychic, and that's why it doesn't seem like I have a point (to you). Those ppl killed by psychic advocacy crossed a line. They die without ever knowing who wrote their death warrant. The hand does the writing; does it know?

John Lennon was psychic and wrote, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun", and he was shot. He gave us a truer picture of how it is than Walter Cronkite. JWL always told it like it was.

I am now studying how a comet gets past Jupiter and smashes into the Earth, and wishing for it.

All ppl have subconscious superstitions and they come out in dreams. That is why they have preconceived notions about what ESP means; they try to put limits on it. It is barely possible, according to Sagan, and since it is, all scientific experiments are ironic more than somewhat. All it takes to affect science is for a single instance of psi to exist, but you think it must take two of us, like a radio. Ha ha ha, like a walkie-talkie, and why? Because that's already invented! No, no no. Nah. Pull that comet down here as hard as your mind can pull, as I am pulling, or you know, and I know, you lie.
I find it very embarrassing(and extremely frustrating) that no one here seems to appreciate your brilliance, sir.

I posted a line from a song called A Comet Appears in my A|N profile many months ago. And now here you are, Stephen, typing about the appearance of a... comet. Coincidence? I should think not. Your powers are most impressive. I humbly desire that this post and its timestamp are of some value to your meticulous observation of the gauge readings relevant to the impending comet strike on Jupiter.

For those that scoff:

Sir, you say in your post of "four hours ago" that you are now suggesting the possibility of my clock being stuck at 7:19, and in parentheses we have "Babbitt-pg 3". I clicked on "page 3" (this was page 6), there is something from Babbitt, but it is at 3:19. All I can think of to interpret what you are saying is to look at a clock and see what being stuck on 7:19 might mean. I guess it is a frown.

As I have noticed, ppl will go into a tirade, the gloves come off, and every insult they can think of, they say. The insults pile up on my eardrums, and although each one makes me mad, mad, madder and maddest are not the only possibilities for madness. I will give you 30 days of frowns for each of approx. five insults, if I can break even. I never met you, so an order of magnitude greater is what you are due in midnight (that's my code for the blackest mood).

I used to sit in front of my screen connected to the internet, and I couldn't think of a thing to Google. Right now I have 'whirling dervish'. I can't wait.

The things ppl write are often so trite that I would rather read down the side, hence the numerology. A reiteration of you said, I,T,F,Y,W,A,M,E,N. That is cryptic. Mystical thinking, you say. I think I can look that up. I saw a cartoon today, "G-Force", with a computer mole who said he was factoring a polynomial over a unitary field. That's another thing to look up.

This is not dancing. This is typing, Bob. You are a user who falls into a category, believe me. When you are affronted, you lose control over the higher intellectual powers and attempt to snow ppl with pure gobbledygook. You have no actual background in the natural sciences, physical sciences, whatever. You imagine that there is no way for ppl to tell that you are lying, and that's untrue.

If I were the kind of psychic who made predictions in a given timeframe, I wouldn't do it. I am the warrior type, and by the time my predictions are evident, my enemies are dead. I do not telegraph my attack. So, is there a bullet with your name on it? I don't know that. Not knowing this minute doesn't prove that I am not psychic, and that's why it doesn't seem like I have a point (to you). Those ppl killed by psychic advocacy crossed a line. They die without ever knowing who wrote their death warrant. The hand does the writing; does it know?

John Lennon was psychic and wrote, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun", and he was shot. He gave us a truer picture of how it is than Walter Cronkite. JWL always told it like it was.

I am now studying how a comet gets past Jupiter and smashes into the Earth, and wishing for it.

All ppl have subconscious superstitions and they come out in dreams. That is why they have preconceived notions about what ESP means; they try to put limits on it. It is barely possible, according to Sagan, and since it is, all scientific experiments are ironic more than somewhat. All it takes to affect science is for a single instance of psi to exist, but you think it must take two of us, like a radio. Ha ha ha, like a walkie-talkie, and why? Because that's already invented! No, no no. Nah. Pull that comet down here as hard as your mind can pull, as I am pulling, or you know, and I know, you lie.

SAITTIJIA

Stephen and I think that it's Jupiter's imminent Armageddon.

I'm trembling as I type this.
Gauge and Absolute is used for pressure. Abs. = g + atmospheric. I misused it on time. There's no absolute time. We have sidereal, Universal, Greenwich. In something like, "Warning Time for Long-Period Comets on Earth Impact Trajectories", maybe course corrections are not discussed. I haven't read it. I am not suggesting a problem involving self-extinction. We don't even have the technology. The project is concerned with honorable intentions only. Yes, the technology is the same. That one is the NASA near-earth object project. I don't even know where the Oort Cloud ends. It could be a l.y.

I should have said uncorrected time. I'm still waiting around for a time calibration post to be finalized.

I hope you don't just read these initials you have put down, Nate. The next step is to sound it out in the best words possible. Maybe a letter goes with the word before, or the word after. On a quick read-through, I get, "say it tied you." You tied me at least, dude. DILLIGAF
I was also intrigued to learn that Saittijia was a rarely used Akkadian variant for, you guessed it, Jupiter.
You made that one up. I'd like to know what it is I do when I get to the point of making them up. It doesn't matter. Nobody is He Who Has More Important Things to Do Besides Sit at the Computer for Hours, but what the heck. My wife's in church. Actually, everyone kind of self-justifies, so when TSHTF, we all look around as if it was not us.

Hey! I'll fill in my UIB claim, make 390 bucks. I am sitting right here.

BTW, Assyrian or Akkadian contains sebu for seven, seb's my initials. This brings up an intersting point about the random walk. When searching, one is hoping, but the hope quality is actually vague, so the relentlessness of the search is tempered by little distractions like seeing your initials. Seb or Geb is a minor Egyptian god, but I like it because of the aspect of bodily fluids. There's an excretion by the name sebum. You won't find any of my refs to be false. There was comet on my birthday, April 16, 1893, but there had to be an eclipse to see it; it was a sungrazer. Once I get accurate findings I introduce vulgarity instead of falsification. That makes me the underdog, a better position to win from.

Now do I look up, A Comet Appears. Well, yeah. The odds were clearly too high to see the initials you put down, or anything like that. To begin a study of odds, lookup pruning. That's how the stats inform probability. The title though, is real. There exists a song by that name. It has a ring to it.

So, as you are faking, like, say you fake masterpieces. Look at the way the artist holds the brush, and ask: "Did Da Vinci actually hold the brush this way?", because, some motions of putting on paint or writing will not pass. Calligraphy requires correct stroking; they teach it to little kids in school. Perhaps the art of being a narc requires some skill about the use of drugs. You don't just blow the coke on the floor when they aren't looking.

Oh, the Shins definitely get high. That's a helluva song. I saw a black t-shirt on an androgynous chick yesterday and it said, "Operation Ivy". I said, "What's that?" She said "A band." I said, "Did you know it was the name of the first H-bomb?" She said "Yeah". I smiled, she smiled. That was it.

In, 2001, A Space Oddessy, Keir Dulea goes to a place to live out his life and the aliens have made up his cage with things they saw on TV transmissions beaming out l.y.s from here, so the books are just covers pasted to the bookcase, see? This is the plaster covering concept stopping psychic investigations before they go dragging out advanced technology, assuming there exists anything advanced over mankind. That is, I am not brilliant. Delving into superstition is degenerate, the operations of psychics, shamans, witch doctors, they're not good. You reach into your mind and say, "appear!". You take what you can get right-side up. You don't calculate and hit 200 on an IQ test. You are not sieved out one-in-a-million kind of guy. I could have been a competent technician, only. The Oddessy by Homer is the first literary example of an eclipse. You guessed it; it's on my birthday, because we can plot those. These plaster stops, like, oh, statuary has no organs, consist in the self-referent realm. Elvis was our version of the King of Siam, see? I am only a seeker in the mold of an Elvis Presley, and not in a good way. When you get to them, you have to turn around, and ppl say, "What's your point?" The point is you have to be me to go any further with it. The probability may hit an epistomologically favorable state, but you are not going to shatter worlds. The complexity of life you just know inside by nature, I believe, matches the complexity of one galaxy. That's referring to the myth of being a disembodied computer program being shown flash cards instead of really living, and to what purpose? I figure that intelligence that isn't in matter has us exist instead of it, so it doesn't have to suffer. We can't see all of time, so we have a piece of luck. I know, you want to stop me right there. They're myths. They could advance to be parables or fables. Those last two words have my initials. I read backwards a lot; they are always telling me to "sell B." I do not wish to sell my surname its initial at this time. Bess you.
The only reason I can think of, and I hope I'm right, is for entertainment.

Entertainment?!

Entertainment?!

This is so disappointing, Sarah. How is it that you fail to grasp the seriousness of what's going on? Today, Jupiter. Tomorrow, Peoria.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service