Hello Everyone,

I am assuming there may be some high IQs (I am a former member of MinD, or MENSA in Germany) in the Nexus? What have been the challenges you have faced in the world due to this? Has your IQ sometimes been a heavy burden to bear?

Any thoughts on this? Experiences to share?

Tags: IQ

Views: 1731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi james - being highly intelligent does set one apart - but i'd rather be 'apart'.  i am glad to hear you say you're not a genius - that word is thrown around so much it has lost it's meaning.  true geniuses are extremely unique - of course, Da Vinci was, but was Marie Curie? she was incredibly intelligent and worked very hard.  what actually makes a genius as opposed to a very intelligent or very creative (picasso) person?  how do you figure that? maybe it just pops out - sh/he is a genius - that's all there is to it (?).
I haven't ran into too many problems. Then again, like Johnsky points out, I'm kind of lazy and haven't studied many things to in depth. I also have the same problems when falling asleep. Though I try to think of easier ways to connect a piece of iron when putting up a building instead of inventions or physics applications. I know that doesn't sound like my IQ can be considered high but I have tested to be well above average.
IQ has little to do with your willingness to use it.

... but you can lose it slowly if you let it idle too much.
Yep! I'm about to fail out of school and my IQ is above average. Weeeee!
School is more about diligence and ability to conform. A high IQ either makes you the teacher's favorite, or the most loathed person in the room. Sometimes both.
"IQ has little to do with your willingness to use it."

Quite right. Some of the smartest people I've met lack focus. A thing needs to be easy or they won't bother..

There is also more than a little disagreement on the meaning of the word 'intelligence' and exactly what IQ tests measure, if anything apart from the ability to do the test.
Ok it's not quite on topic but I gotta ask. What is the use of being in the MENSA club?
It makes you important.
The number you got on an IQ test doesn't make you any more like-minded than the number you get on any other test. I definitely don't think MENSA's purpose is for like-minded people to meet... I don't even think this place (Atheist Nexus) is a place for like minded people to meet (it's more of a respite from a theist dominated world - but that's besides the point and my personal opinion.)
Nerd - that was too perfect - are you really a guy?
Hey, what happened to the Fight Club reply?
He said something like "I created an A|N account 'cause I had to make that reply". Draw your own conclusions.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service