Hello Everyone,

I am assuming there may be some high IQs (I am a former member of MinD, or MENSA in Germany) in the Nexus? What have been the challenges you have faced in the world due to this? Has your IQ sometimes been a heavy burden to bear?

Any thoughts on this? Experiences to share?

Tags: IQ

Views: 1873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might think so, Edward. But there are many, many people out there who take as a matter of faith that anyone who is intelligent, that is, who has "book smarts", is necessarily socially inept and lacking in common sense and "street smarts".
The other one is, "those who can't...teach."

I think when folks hear a catch phrase enough, it "feels" like an obvious truth.

Anyone whose ever been to school should know that teaching is craft/art that requires a specific skill set just like any other occupation.
Yea, I think, like Karma... it's wishful thinking (sour grapes)
Purging intellectuals is as old as history. Nothing is a greater threat to any regime than people that can see it for the fraud that it is.
I don't doubt that. But given the choice between following logic and reason or following charisma, the large majority will pick the latter.
Jennifer: I don't doubt that. But given the choice between following logic and reason or following charisma, the large majority will pick the latter.

Charisma and Don's demagoguery (faux intellectualism and reason) target genuine intellectuals. Look at the campaign to destroy univerisities as cosmopolitan knowledge centres. They are now little more than corporate indoctrination camps, with all genuine (read: non-profitable) intellectualism marginalised and ostracised. Similarly, the destruction of bohemia by gentrification as nouveau riche yuppie imbeciles with no redeeming characteristics whatsoever throw their money around.

This is the price you pay for allowing an ignorant middle class [*], that wallows in it's ignorance and regales it, to become the dominant demographic. These are the folks that are reassured by Palin's "folksiness" - because she's just like them. Not too smart and everything is simple. It's like a comforter blanket.

[*] - I prefer my own definition of middle class as those that have something to lose. The hummer, the 2 storey McMansion with jacuzzi and life time gym membership.
OK, it's not a blanket dismissal. But the compromise of integrity is so close to irreversible it's not funny.
I thought it was because she was a woman who likes guns and Jesus, and hates killing babies. So she's the sexiest member of the Good Ol' Boys' Club, and it's not gay to admit it.
You forgot her separatist sympathies, there are a whole mob of dimwits that think secession is a good idea. Somewhere where guns are plentiful, no taxes and everybody loves Jeebus. (that would be a white Jeebus)
I've never heard of Alaska seceding. But in Texas, I can imagine that going awry rather quickly. I'd sho' like to meet a white Jesus, seeing as I've only met Mexican ones. >.>
Palin's hubby was or possibly still is a member of an Alaska secessionist group.
Palin's dim bulb husband was an active member of the Alaska Independence movement - a separatist group - Palin gave the keynote address at their annual convention.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service