Hello Everyone,

I am assuming there may be some high IQs (I am a former member of MinD, or MENSA in Germany) in the Nexus? What have been the challenges you have faced in the world due to this? Has your IQ sometimes been a heavy burden to bear?

Any thoughts on this? Experiences to share?

Tags: IQ

Views: 1873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, well that makes more sense, Don. Darwin certainly did hold back to keep the peace. Hell, he waited ten years to publish for fear of the backlash.
Deathbed conversions are possibly the vilest dirty filth in the theists arsenal. It is quite simply defiling the dead. To me it is more loathsome than necrophilia, which at least is honest in it's intent. Bertrand Russell is another that was defiled in this manner.

When a theist chooses to force this bullshit down your throat, just tell them point blank - you are defiling the dead. What will your maker think of that ?
When a theist chooses to force this bullshit down your throat, just tell them point blank - you are defiling the dead. What will your maker think of that ?

Excellent!
The ends justfy ANY means ;-)
James, addressing Becca:
First off I just got one very important thing to say. If you are so dense as to use a sentence like "Waaah! People don’t like me/think I’m arrogant because I’m smart" then you should read the introduction to this topic closely.

Dense? I'd say (and I must know, being high IQ and all), that sentence is a brilliant way to convey the circular irony and general sense that there are individuals on this thread externalizing their own, what many would deem 'arrogant,' view that others seeing one as arrogant is, in and of itself, arrogant, and thereby quite possibly a distorted view of those around said individual.

Except that Becca's sentence says it in a way more entertaining, less wordy, and dare I say less arrogant way than I just did.
When you have a high IQ, peoples' expectations weigh down on you so much more, so when you fail at something you seem to fall further in the eyes of others.
I'm above-average, but hardly genius. I don't know my exact IQ score but I know it ranges somewhere between 120-135.

And yet, for some reason, a lot of people seem intimidated by all the random knowledge I express. o.O They ask me these questions and when I know the answers, it bothers them? What? Go figure. >.X
Isn't that insane!?! Not just here though. The Nazis and the Chinese Communists targeted intellectuals (just like Rush, O'Reilly and Borts do).
I would think then it was more a fear of someone being able to articulate an uprising somehow. >.X You know, 'cause people would prefer to follow the booksmart over the charismatic.
Probably so... I know college professors were a big part of the Tienanmen Square peace demonstration in the 80s.

I used to have a psychology radio talk show and I was on with Charleston's version of Rush Limbaugh. He made a comment about "I'd rather have common sense than booksmarts." I said that phrase was the war cry of the American Dumbass. Isn't it common sense to get some book smarts?...lol
I had an instructor whose parents were instructors during that time period in China. They lost their job and emigrated to the U.S. when schools were closed down.

Common sense and booksmarts do seem to be inverse of each other. I would say that few people have both. And for too many, it's easier to follow what they already know than take a chance on having their paradigm changed by learning something new.
Jennifer, I'm with Don. The idea that people with booksmarts necessarily lack common sense strikes me as being one with the idea that rich people are necessarily unhealthy. It just ain't necessarily so.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service