Hello Everyone,

I am assuming there may be some high IQs (I am a former member of MinD, or MENSA in Germany) in the Nexus? What have been the challenges you have faced in the world due to this? Has your IQ sometimes been a heavy burden to bear?

Any thoughts on this? Experiences to share?

Tags: IQ

Views: 2002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We all do this all the time -- whether we are consciously aware of it or not. I'll bet that you can ask person A about person B's smarts and get an answer; then you ask about person B's street smarts. All of us will have an opinion on that question that probably will track any objective test we come up with.

We wouldn't even be here discussing this issue if our ancestors didn't tend to be relatively street smart much of the time. With the accelerated pace of civilization, however, I fear the road construction and potholes are detrimental to fostering appropriate street smarts.
It's easy. Intelligence is what intelligence tests measure. Alternatively, intelligence is what I have and the other guy does not.
We don't even know exactly what intelligence is let alone the best way to determine it - I say scrap the IQ test.
Don't. IQ tests are perfectly suited to measure everyone's ability to pass an IQ test.
Ben Stein is a genius - for example.
"Unless it makes money, helps my son get into a better college, or helps me make the acquaintance of beautiful girls, I have no interest in it."

So creationism helps you meet beautiful girls? Maybe I've dismissed it too hastily.
lmao... Yep, how do ya think the man got the name "Oral" Roberts... chicks fell all over him
Huh. That sounds kinda like The Nerd's problem. On second thought, I don't think I'm up to that much action.
Jason, I might not be up to that much action, either, but it's a chance I'm willing to take!
Jeez ! he is a genius -  ugh pphhhthhhhpt :p
"Existence of intelligence in one field has no affect on their intelligence in another."

Actually, that is not generally true. People are generally fairly even, give or take 5 standard deviations, in their spread of abilities. When there is a big difference between someone's top score and bottom score it is diagnostic of brain pathology or malfunction. The pattern of the deficient scores tells neuro-psychologists which part of the brain is not working properly and how badly damaged it is.

The reverse is sometimes true. The so-called idiot savants can perform amazing feats of memory but cannot make use of this information to perform normally in other areas. The amazing performance stems from damage to part of the brain which controls attentional filtering. When that is turned off the person cannot forget and cannot monitor their behaviour properly. That is not a good thing for normal functioning.
Er, isn't 5 standard deviations pretty much all of them, for practical purposes? Or do you mean that 99.999% of people are generally even, rather than that people are generally 99.999% even?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service