Hello Everyone,

I am assuming there may be some high IQs (I am a former member of MinD, or MENSA in Germany) in the Nexus? What have been the challenges you have faced in the world due to this? Has your IQ sometimes been a heavy burden to bear?

Any thoughts on this? Experiences to share?

Tags: IQ

Views: 2000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A great read, and the responses were revealing!
I got totally roasted when I posted it, but the real message had more to do with being a minority than anything else.

Intelligence can't really be measured, but we can do a pretty good job of measuring skill sets.

The responses to that blog were pretty harsh, but mostly because it came off similar to, "My life is so difficult because of my extreme wealth and beauty" lol
It's only a burden if they do you all at once.
I literally laughed out loud on that one.
Nerd,

True nuff! It is a legitimate stressor... just one others might be envious of.

BTW What are you doing later?... :-P
LMAO :-D
Nerd - maybe you can post a counter thread about the burdens of being beautiful.

"Any other beautiful people here? Don't you find it such a chore to put up with ugly people and their sad little lives so deprived of potential? I mean, imagine if you had to go to a club with an ugly person on your arm?"

/sarcastic point made.
In this paranoid, hypocritical, god-obsessed U S OF A, logic and rationality are the heavy burdens to bear.

Some of the most paranoid, hypocritical people I've met are high-IQ.

Some of the most logical, rational people I've met are average or low IQ.

High IQ has nothing to do with getting/keeping a job in the real world. What you are ultimately judged on is how well you navigate office politics, and whether or not the boss' favorite alpha employee likes you personally (i.e.; feels they can categorize, control, and manipulate you).

I find my high IQ does little more for me in life than to be a possible candidate for why I was so bored in high school, which one doesn't need a high IQ to be.

The first thing that turns me off about a potential boyfriend or friend is when that person wears their IQ like some kind of badge of honor or something to prove to the rest of the world. Intelligent discussion for me is ... well ... I'm not sure how to explain it. But it sure as hell isn't a pissing contest to see who memorized more facts and figures better than the other.
I think the burden is... being different. Not fitting in is VERY frustrating. Being rational in an existence plagued by emotion thought makes you an alien.
You nailed it!!!!

The majority of the responses I am seeing here are failing to successfully separate their emotions and/or their sentiments (social or otherwise) from their powers of logical thought.

I suppose that's my problem - it's difficult to find other Vulcans on Earth at this time.
I should point out that, like me, Leonard Nimoy's character was also a musician of an unusual instrument, as well as quite an avid reader of Earth literature.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me, "Is that like the thing that Spock played?".........

I was not suggesting that emotion does not have its place in our skulls, but that when mixed inconsistently with our faculties of deductive reasoning, produces detrimental results. Consider this:

When I approach a new piece of music, I break the process into two distinct phases:

1) I refer to this as the "pattern phase", within which I train myself to the particular pattern of a piece of music (tempo, movement, breath requirements, etc.) that I will require for that particular music. When I have attained this phase, I move on to:

2) The "sentiment phase", within which I deal with the implantation of musical accents (vibrato, note duration, consonant pronunciation, etc.) that will evoke the emotional response or message I am striving to achieve.

So: 1 + 1 = 2

It's not a matter of ruthlessly declaring emotion to have no place whatsoever in the process, so much as determining the point at which an emotional approach will be most beneficial for the results one wishes to achieve.

So, the "Vulcans Nixed" researchers have the right of it, insofar as emotion can and does play a key factor. However, mastering the ability to determine the point of greatest beneficial use of the emotional factor is a rare skill indeed.
I think that this form of emotion-rationality dualism is interesting but misplaced. Modern cognitive science demonstrates that they are intimately intertwined at every point.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service