Hello Everyone,

I am assuming there may be some high IQs (I am a former member of MinD, or MENSA in Germany) in the Nexus? What have been the challenges you have faced in the world due to this? Has your IQ sometimes been a heavy burden to bear?

Any thoughts on this? Experiences to share?

Tags: IQ

Views: 1715

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lucky we have someone from mensa to explain the joke to us dummies.
What joke??
I forgot. That funny energiser bunny came on teevee.
People lie. Everytime.

You have the right of it, unfortunately. It is an old, old story with me and my wife of 10 years: we will be in a social situation, with lots of "intellectual" people discussing fascinating topics, at which time I (happy to share with thinking people) delightedly join in the discussion, only to have people approach my wife quietly afterwards (they never approach me personally) and make statements to the effect of "Your husband is too arrogant", or, "Your husband should be more humble".

Both my wife and I have decided not to socialize with others, and instead focus all our energies upon our son, and improving our own lives, rather than always hearing the same old things again and again.

Who else here has read "Harrison Bergeron"? It is certainly satirical, but also eerily realistic in a social sense.
Liar!
I would simply say that there is little evidence to believe that IQ is a helpful construct for investigating human capacity. I think it should be part of the Humanist project to replace outdated notions like "IQ" with fuller, richer and more complex evaluations of a person's intellectual capabilities.
It is true that intelligence has many forms, not all of which can be detected by conventional IQ tests.

With what should we replace IQ? Any ideas?
Well, Howard Gardner, my advisor at Harvard, has suggested a multiple model of intelligence. Sternberg has a hierarchical multiple model. But I think the most important point, as Gould stresses, is that any attempt to capture human capability in a standardized numerical measure is probably doomed. I think we should evaluate people's potential through observing them in action performing meaningful real-world tasks.
True nuff.. it's a ghost in the machine.
I daresay that your real-world observation method would be possible, but for one small problem: people's definition of meaningful is not a constant, but can vary.
I don't view this as a problem, but an opportunity - real-world societies and groups do legitimately value different things, and call different things "intelligent". I feel we should attempt to accommodate this (at least to an extent) rather than try to fit everyone and every society into the same analytical framework.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service