"An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support." - John Buchan 

Tell John Buchan that, all Atheists need support of that silly invisible thing : BREATH. Pls dont forget..

What answer to give such foolish Reply ??? ...

is it a foolish one .. ??

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If this idiot-child can quantify "breath" as something other than air and the involuntary response of the body to move its diaphragm to move air ... OR he can quantify "atman" or "prana," he gets a prize.

Otherwise, he can suck eggs for all of me.
sounds good to me!
if u think its a A Brilliant ...
Breath is quite 'visible' in the context being discussed. Under the right conditions you can see it with the naked eye. You can smell it, feel it, taste it, there are any number of scientific instruments to detect it, measure it, break it down into it's elemental components.

Unlike god/s, which exists only in the mind of the believer.
John Buchan? The novelist and erstwhile Governor General of Canada?

Might be a be hard to tell him anything,what with him having died in 1940 and al.

What would I say.Nothing,I'd probably laugh at them.
Invisible, undetectable = non-existant
I recently read in a book, this gem: "An atheist's body, in a coffin, is all dressed up with no place to go".
go to hell, other side is going to be full of ediots.
HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA.......Amer....you are so right!
Yes, it is foolish.

There are two types of breath:
1. That which is part of respiration; the inhaling and exhaling of air.
2. The spirit; that which animates the corporeal body. For example, Yahweh breathes life into Adam (Genesis 2:7). A related concept in Hinduism is ātman. That a deity or other supernatural being breathes life into human beings is an ancient and common story in religions around the world, both extant and extinct.

That the respondent has capitalised 'breath' suggests a reference to the second meaning. Especially considering the conversation is part of a Philosophy discussion.

My response would be along the lines of "There is no compelling evidence in support of a supernatural breath that animates life."
If you want a more anthropological answer then try "An atheist has empathy, argumentation, exposition, personal experience, reason, logic and critical analysis to rely on." These have led to a more egalitarian, democratic society.

What would they have us do? Return to a patriarchal, corrupt system based on ignorance, prejudice and oppression?

The original statement is still equating God with goodness. History tells us a very different story.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service