Swordfish is the best fish I've ever had!   Nothing like opening a discussion in the middle, but now I have your attention, lets talk fish.

I'm far from being an expert on fish, what with limited funds and being a penny-pincher, but I do love the taste of fish and most seafood, so I'll be so bold as to start the discussion.

My dad loved to fish and usually took us kids with him.  Most of the fish we caught were trout, so I love fresh trout, covered with flour or cornmeal, and fried in butter.  Mmmmmmm, got to get me some right away!

My mom's siblings lived by an irrigation stream that was filled with catfish, so fresh catfish also makes my taste-buds wake-up & say howdy!  Besides tasting as good as trout, with catfish, you don't have to be near as careful to prevent bones getting stuck in your throat.

Now, back to the swordfish.  In 1966, I took the Queen Mary ocean liner from England to New York City.  I tried a different seafood platter at every meal, for the 5 day trip.  The fish must have been fresh and must have been prepared by a good chef, because they were all delicious.

Despite being delicious, my poor memory can't remember what any of them were except the swordfish.  Wow!  It was head & shoulders above the rest in the taste department.

Since then, I've never seen it in the few restaurants I've been to, and never seen it in a store, except once. I took it home, cooked it, and my taste-buds were highly disappointed.  I think not knowing how to cook it right was a factor, but I suspect the largest factor was the lack of freshness.  One thing I know about fish.  When they stop moving, their flavor degrades rapidly.

OK then, lets hear your fishy stories:

Tags: Fish, seafood, swordfish

Views: 213

Replies to This Discussion

I lived near Kenai, Alaska,  and at Ft Lewis, WA for two years, you know, the old two year rotation as a military dependent, and had access to fish right off fishing boats. It was excellent. Now I live 300+ miles east of the Pacific Ocean and even though we have a wonderful mom and pop fish monger, the fish is just not as fresh or as good. There is something about watching the boats come in, unload and buying the fish from the fishermen.  

Remember when quality fish was relatively inexpensive?  WTF happened?

My mom used to buy halibut that was frozen in a rectangular block, and cooked it (still frozen) lightly seasoned (Lawry's seasoned pepper and thin slices of lemon) in the oven.  Deee-licious!  Moist, tender.... Purrrfect.   NO tartar sauce.

I haven't seen halibut like that in decades.  Most of the frozen fish I see in the store is thin little "fillets" with thicker breading than fish.

BTW, has anybody ever had tilapia or orange roughy?  Are they mild, or "fishy"?  Even they cost as much as a good steak, and I think I'd rather have steak.

I buy tilapia quite often when it goes on sale. Also eaten orange roughy & neither are fishy. I am not a beef person so any fish is fine by me & these 2 are very good.

I used to get sole & cod in blocks to cook whole with lemon pepper, but they have disappeared.

Patricia,  I saw you put orange roughy and I laughed at a memory.  My sister's friend, when we were teenagers, said her grandma made "orange Ralphy" for dinner.  I've called it that ever since. lol

When I first saw ''orange roughy'', I thought, "that can't be right". It sure didn't sound like the name of a food, let alone a type of fish!

Mindy, your memory reminds me of a memory from my childhood.  Whenever my mother made the Polish cookie "kolaczki" (pronounced klotch-key) , we always called them "garage keys." 

I'll bet those "garage keys" were good! :)

You said: "I used to get sole & cod in blocks to cook whole with lemon pepper, but they have disappeared."

That is what's puzzling me.  What did happen to halibut (my fave), and other fish which used to be quite common?  And reasonably priced. Have they been over-fished?

I also like salmon filet...grilled over charcoal and some kind of wet wood chips to make it smoky.  However, the last time I had salmon, I developed a gout attack that lasted almost a month.  Same with shrimp.  I love shrimp, always have, but I can only eat one or two medium size, without a problem, but that's not enough! I want a whole platter of them!

All the stuff I used to love causes problems anymore.

Once upon a time we had a cheap beach place near Balboa, and a couple of us kids hung out at the public pier when the albacore were running.  We'd clean people's catch for them in return for a good-sized chunk of fish and/or money for the Saturday movies.

Fresh albacore is easy to cook...just wrap in foil with lemon and onion slices, and a pinch of pepper mix.  Seal the packet and bake.  I don't like canned tuna/albacore at all. Reminds me of cat food, even though it's not good for cats, either.

Yes, halibut is a favorite as well.

I like the sockeye salmon but my innards don't anymore. Ruddy nuisance this getting older bs!

I like most fish & shellfish, but can't abide tuna in any form now.

I've eaten talapia a few times and it's rather bland to my taste.  The ones I purchased were not expensive.  Perhaps that had something to do with the taste.

Yes, tilapia and orange roughy require a nice wine sauce,

tilapia sauces

or my own:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine 
2 Tbsp butter 
2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 lemon

Directions:

In a skillet you fried tilapia or orange roughy, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute shallots until softened and beginning to color, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Add wine, increase heat to high and bring to boil, boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 3-5 minutes.

Pour over fish. Serve at once. 

I agree with you, Patricia, tilapia and orange roughy aren't "fishy."  Orange roughy is mild and very nice with a light butter or cream sauce. 

I've had tilapia tacos.  Very good. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Susan Stanko replied to Sentient Biped's discussion What will happen if Scotland Succeeds from the UK?
5 minutes ago
Plinius replied to MattyLJ's discussion Are you clean and organized?
49 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
52 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
2 hours ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web

Music by Viking Trance with video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK) 2014. Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance buy link
2 hours ago
Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
2 hours ago
Man boob posted songs
2 hours ago
Rick posted a blog post
3 hours ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
3 hours ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service