Better late than never, it's RULE #6 (awesome reverb) #6 #6 #6!

The Rule

6. Plagiarizing other people's works will result in a deletion of the materials in question and account suspension.

The Reason
Plagiarization is taking the ideas of another and claiming that they are your own ideas. In it's most evident form, it's a person copying chunks of a written work in their entirety, without attribution, in an attempt to pass it off as his or her own writing. It can be more subtle, such as using a whole sentence here or there without quotes or even using a single source and simply re-wording it. This last example is why college courses require research papers to have two or three sources minimum.

It could be said that almost everything we write is a little "plagiarized" as it is all subtly influenced by things we have heard or read, but it is almost always a co-mingling of these things, not a word-for-word recitation of another person's works.

While there is no law against plagiarization, it is the stance of Atheist Nexus that it is unethical and won't be allowed.

The Action
This will depend on the severity of the plagiarism. To actively pass off an entire work by someone else as ones own is so dishonest it could easily end in a ban. The passive cut-and-paste-but-forgot-to-attribute kind of plagiarism will likely result in a warning. This mistake happens, but it shouldn't happen a lot.
It is important that you attribute your sources, people deserve credit for their work!

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's see; in a way-too-drawn-out-debate, I recently had someone strongly imply that the stance I'd taken all along was new and inspired by his awesomeness in educating me. "Coming into his camp" was the phraseology I believe.

But I think that falls under "Irritating/Creepy Imagery/Lame Debate Tactics" way more so than actual plagiarism.

Rule sounds pretty straightforward to me. Give credit where credit is due.
BTW: Loved the awesome reverb. Totally sold me on the thread.

:-P
I like the 6,6,6 emphasis here!
Just remember if you copy from one source it is plagiarism. But if you copy from several sources it is research.

In my blog I usually write what I want to write then go back to the source to clean it up if I remembered it wrong. That way I know it is my own words and then I can make sure my facts are good.

Not to mention, many religious adherents thing nothing of plagiarism. But I went to school for journalism so I tend to understand the concept pretty well.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion A Short Course in Logic
9 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
17 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
20 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"A Higgs Boson walks into a church. The priest says, we don't allow bosons in here. The Higgs Boson replies, then how do you have mass?"
21 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion A Short Course in Logic
25 minutes ago
Samantha Madison posted a status
"FREETHINKERS ARE DANGEROUS!!!!!!"
26 minutes ago
booklover replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Teh Stoopid...it's killing me!!
39 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Teh Stoopid...it's killing me!!
41 minutes ago
booklover replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Teh Stoopid...it's killing me!!
59 minutes ago
Edward Teach commented on Edward Teach's blog post Are we Dancing Bears?
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service