Some of you may not care, it bothers me quite a bit because I don't feel that an employer should be picking side of religion. There have been discussions on here about Hobby Lobby, and you may have heard about Chick-fil-a giving money to anti-gay groups, CNN just posted an article the lists 6 others.

1. Tyson Foods

2. Hobby Lobby

3. ServiceMaster (Terminex, American Home Shield)

4. Herman Miller

5. Interstate Batteries

6. In-N-Out Burger

7. Walmart (like I needed another reason to despise Walmart)

Does this influence your decision to do business with any of these companies?

I personally avoid Hobby Lobby because of their religious ads they post in newspapers, I avoid Walmart because of their poor working conditions and underage manufacturing, and Chick-fil-a for the anti-equality stance. I'm not sure about the others, but it won't help.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/07/7-religious-companies-besi...

Tags: business, religion, walmart

Views: 1034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I absolutely agree with him, even if it's publicly traded.  The point is that if we disagree with how someone does business, we can simply avoid the company.  We can forgo buying their stocks.  We can spread the word, like our friend has done here.  I think that the best thing you can do in this country is let the crazies be crazy so we all know who they are and not create legislation that forces them into the closet.  I'd rather know who's a bigot than force them to keep it out of the way they operate.  And the truth is that most of these corporations are not actually supporting these bigoted, intolerant groups but their CEO's are.  No matter how much we dislike it, we have NO right to tell people what to think, just as they don't.  I mean the shoe could easily be on the other foot with xtians hating on atheist owned companies.
Sure, but you have the right to not work there.
True, but i guess thats hard to come to terms with when there isn't a huge job market out there.  But, i guess i want to point out, that I dont dislike them bc they are christian, but because of some of the practices they have.  I mean, I dislike certain companies for reasons having nothing to do with religion, mainly because they are corrupt in other ways.  My beef as an atheist is that a lot of those companies mentioned above are evangelicalizing.
I completely hear you on that. I think we're all on the same page in general. We seem to agree on our dislike of companies who support things like xtian bigot groups (i.e. the ones that violate gay rights) and I think it's important to get the word out about those sorts of things. We may have differing opinions about the minutiae but talks like this get us in the right direction.
somewhere on television i once saw a discussion about a company that hired a clergyman to go around and ask employees about their "spiritual well being." Wouldnt that be an obnoxious situation?
Well of course that would be obnoxious. But I've worked for a million religious people without incident. I guess I'm just not bothered by their religion. And like I said before, it's a free market, you're welcome to wave your religious views (or non-religious, as it were) with only the threat of the general public liking or disliking the way you operate. I guess the thing about the first amendment is that while you and I have our opportunity to be free from religion and have nothing limiting when and where we make that known, the other shoe is that you have to allow people in their own practice to do as they wish. I don't like the idea of telling businesses what they can and can't stand for. I mean, what if you published bibles? Would it be wrong to say your company was religious?
But in this case, doesn't it cross the line from the right of a business to practice in the way it sees fit to infringing on the freedoms of the individual employees? If companies can practice whatever religion they choose, then surely we can grant that employees should be free from being harassed or "outed" as being not of the majority religion. If we were talking about a public forum, I would agree with you. However, the workplace adds power dynamics and high stakes. Employees shouldn't have to feel that their job is pushing a particular religion on them.

I don't think that donations to private causes cross that line, but hiring a clergyman to speak to the employees definitely does.
I certainly agree with you on that. I'm pretty much speaking about the businesses that do things like print bible verses on their materials or give money to whatever religious charity they choose. I just don't think that's something that should be frowned upon because we atheists can simply choose not to support their businesses. Of course when we're talking about personal liberties of the employees being violated, that stretches outside of the scope of the liberties of a private business.

Yeah, then we agree. I don't see the Bible verses or the donations as a problem in the legal sense. It's only a "problem" in the sense that it is annoying for some atheists to see it and then feel compelled to make the decision as to whether or not to continue to support that company.

For my part, I'm always grateful to hear about companies that do not share my values. I then try to stop doing business with them as much as possible.

I've never even had Chic-fil-A, so it's no loss for me. I learnt about InNOut forever ago, which is pretty obvious if you've ever looked on the bottom of the cups. And Wal-mart's craptastic but cheaper than the grocery stores around here. >.X

I don't care if I'm giving my money to religious groups so much as anti-gay rights groups. So, I try to boycott InNOut, Best Buy, and Target. >./p>

What's the issue with Best Buy?  I did some quick Googling and all I could find was that the Catholic League is upset with them for using the word "holiday" instead of "Christmas" in their flyers.
Best Buy supports the tea party. As does Target.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service