Some of you may not care, it bothers me quite a bit because I don't feel that an employer should be picking side of religion. There have been discussions on here about Hobby Lobby, and you may have heard about Chick-fil-a giving money to anti-gay groups, CNN just posted an article the lists 6 others.

1. Tyson Foods

2. Hobby Lobby

3. ServiceMaster (Terminex, American Home Shield)

4. Herman Miller

5. Interstate Batteries

6. In-N-Out Burger

7. Walmart (like I needed another reason to despise Walmart)

Does this influence your decision to do business with any of these companies?

I personally avoid Hobby Lobby because of their religious ads they post in newspapers, I avoid Walmart because of their poor working conditions and underage manufacturing, and Chick-fil-a for the anti-equality stance. I'm not sure about the others, but it won't help.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/07/7-religious-companies-besi...

Tags: business, religion, walmart

Views: 1034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yay! I already either do extremely minimal business with them (sometimes a friend will drag me to Walmart for something) or do none at all! It's not inevitable!

A friend of mine looved chick-fil-a but her conscience told her to give it up, and she was sad. I told her to look for the recipe and try to cook it at home!

I think it actually helps our case as atheists.  Its like those roadrage drivers that have a jesus fish on their bumper.  Telling the world that religion is bogus, religious people are just like everyone else, and these "religion centered companies" are just as corrupt and uncaring as any other company.  "We may use slave labor, but at least we make them pray before lunch!"
...now where am I going to get all my cool stuff for projects? Walmart and Hobby Lobby are now out. >/
What about Wal-Marts recent efforts to hold the Chinese to better working conditions for any company supplying to Wal-mart. Or their ongoing efforts to cut their energy costs through the use and promotion of green technologies. Or their efforts is some areas of the country to buy from local suppliers to save on transport of certain goods especially foods. Even the evil ogre seems to do some good sometime even if it is only in it's own self interest.
I have seen more than a few documentaries on this bunch and it is always odd that the more christian an organization is the more they seem to be able to compartmentalize their thinking about what is "Just business" and what is regular life. There seems to be no crossover. I was very surprised to read about the items I listed above. But you are right . It is like trying to polish a turd.  Here's the jerky thing about our corporate system. There are the fiduciary responsibility laws on the books that basically say that a corporations first and only serious obligation is to the stockholders. To maximize profit on their behalf. Henry Ford tried to pay his workers more with the idea that he wanted his workers to be able to afford the products he produced.  The stockholders let him know that was not going to happen.  Recently some companies have taken themselves back private to get away from this legalized extortion. But If you take somebodies money you have to do as they say.
I have heard some potentially good things about wal-mart recently.  That they are now carrying more organic products and are stocking more fresh fruits and vegetables.  (I am a nutritionist, so these are good things to me).  I dunno, do you think they are actually trying to improve?  Or just giving themselves a bit of a facelift.
The profile broadcast on NPR on their efforts to buy local  I think was a genuine economic strategy as well as a public relations effort. Also their effort to cash in on the growing organic foods market.  I really don't think a corporation that big does anything with altruism in mind. But when the result is good I think they should be applauded. Maybe it will encourage them to do more good.
But where else can I buy yogurt, tires, a TV, and bed linen all in one stop? Please don’t take my Wal-Mart away.
I personally think that any private business has the right to have whatever views they choose and operate under whatever premise they desire. As long as I have access to information regarding their support of certain ideals, I have no problem with it. In fact, I have no problem with spending my money at their businesses as long as it's not being allocated to religious hate groups (which Chik Fil A and Hobby Lobby do). It's up to those who oppose these views to not support if they are strongly against it and be a part of the self-regulating market.
I'm not an atheist who gets offended at a person's religious views and how much it influences their lives as long as it's not a direct affront to my personal rights. It's about as silly to me as getting up in arms about bands that are either overtly christian or are fronted by christians. I mean, you don't hear of too many people taking offense at the Rolling Stones because Jagger is an atheist.
I'm not sure that it's that I'm a "passive" atheist, it's that I hold liberty at a higher regard than my personal beliefs. I think a private business and person has every right to conduct business under whatever pretense they choose. I mean, church is essentially a business after all. In fact, the idea of forcing an end to religion bothers me because it creates a scenario of oppression. I think the ABSOLUTE key to atheism is that people are offered the information and are allowed to come to atheism on their own terms. If not, we end up being just as tyrannical and hateful as the religions of old.
BUT, let's not forget that you and I are on the same side. My approach is just more laborious. Speaking as one who's caught more flies with honey, it's just the way I work =)
I see where you are coming from, I just have to disagree with you.  Your argument sounds a lot like the one given by Rand Paul recently regarding the Civil Rights act.  That any business has the freedom to do as they wish, even discriminate.  That a business should legally be able to say "Whites only" or "blacks only" for that matter.  A small business may have a bit more leeway in having a more "christian-oriented" business,  but a large publicly traded company, well....It just seems wrong to me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service