A new Gallop poll (a Values and Beliefs Survey) indicates that 4 out of 10 Americans believe 'God' created the Earth and modern humans (independently from evolution) from 6 to 10 thousand years ago. Per the article:

Four in 10 Americans believe God created the Earth and anatomically modern humans, less than 10,000 years ago, according to a new Gallup poll....About half of Americans believe humans evolved over millions of years, with most of those people saying that God guided the process....three-quarters believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, according to a 2013 Pew survey.....a 2014 National Science Foundation study found that only three out of four Americans know that the Earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa, and a large percentage didn't know the Earth's core was hot....

There is a silver lining - The percentage of Americans who believe in natural selection has increased significantly. Per the article:

Though the percentage of people who believe in creationism has changed little over the decades, the percentage of people who believe humans evolved without God has more than doubled, and the percentage who believe in God-guided evolution has decreased. (Bold added.)

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/4-in-10-americans-believe-god-...

Tags: Creationism, Evolution, Jubinsky, Religion, Values

Views: 414

Replies to This Discussion

I never said I did consult a dictionary on that one (they are not always right, many say a spatula is a pancake turner, and many list 'past' as a past tense form of 'to pass', when it is 'passed', that is not to imply that I am always correct either), but I don't really have to, I live them, and I was just giving my opinion from that perspective ...your definition of 'can't' is a problem though.

'Can't' implies 'impossible', that means that no matter what you do or how hard you try, it cannot be done, you will fail, so not doing anything there is being realistic. Not trying to jump into space (because it can't be done and even if it could, you would die) is not being pessimistic, but realistic.

'Don't want to' means that you know it 'can' be done, but it's not worth the trouble, that is apathetic. Not getting up to make food that is in the other room, when you are starving, because it is too much trouble, is being pessimistic.

Realism is recognizing your actual limitations, whereas thinking you can do something you can't, is delusional, and striving to learn is optimistic.

That is why I came to the conclusion I have on that. As someone who is bipolar, I might have an odd perspective on the topic, but I think of this as more of a use of language issue than anything else. Part of our problem is that we tend to use 'can't' when we mean 'won't', and so we tend to misuse it more often than not.

...your definition of 'can't' is a problem though.

Devian, 'can't' is a problem for at least three kinds of people:

1. those who do not know expressions such as "I can, but the law says I may not." or "I can, but doing so at this time would result in harm to what I value."

2. those who harbor delusions such as "I can flap my arms and fly" or "I can hear a god telling me to _______"

3. those who have no confidence in their ability to _______.

Your concerns about pancake/hotcake/flapjack turners and spatulas tell me you don't know dictionaries' two chief uses:

1. they tell the ways influential people have used words, and

2. they suggest the ways people should use words when they want others to understand them.

We can use dictionaries as doorstops, weapons and more but many mothers tell their children they may not.

I know little about the bipolar condition. Your acknowledging it, Devian, moves me to learn about it. Wikipedia, here I come.

Well, in this case, I meant 'can't' as in it is impossible. It's the only definition. Legality is not can't, by definition that is won't, can do it, but it is illegal, so you will not. And confidence is also won't, they can but choose not to because of their lack of confidence.

None of this changes what I said.

-

Yes the dictionary updates as people use it, but there are some cases when that should not happen, and spatula is one of them. If it lists the slang term like that, it should state that is IS in fact slang, and NOT in fact the real definition, the problem is that most of us are too ignorant to know that it is in fact wrong.

A spatula is a specific tool, in at least 3 different industries, and cooking is one of those three, but a pancake turner is NOT one of them.

This is similar to the layman's 'definition' of theory and the real scientific definition. The difference being that those who use spatula to talk about a pancake turner, are WRONG.

I DO use the dictionary, but when I find them wrong,I try to make corrections. Words have uses, and when we use them incorrectly, we are do ourselves and our language a serious disservice. I note you  also completely ignored the passed vs past one too. because it proves that sometimes they are completely and utterly wrong. They are written by people, and people make mistakes, most of our country is ignorant of our language and how it is supposed to work.

the fact is there will always be morons...bonafide, genetic morons...natural selection depends on it...these are the people that 20 000 years ago would have left the cave alone at night to get food because "i don't know, i'm kinda hungry"...meanwhile the non-morons would simply THINK "i am kinda hungry, but it's dark out, i can't see well in the dark, there are predators out there, my best chance of getting food and staying alive coexist when it's bright out and we're ALL going out together to get food...after all, 4, 6, 8, etc number of eyes are better than 2...forget how hungry I might be now, I think I'll chill here in the cave"...the ability to reason, and to think (and believe), has a genetic basis just like everything else...and some people are just deficient...back in the day, these people would have passed away and left less off-springs...now days, the same people go on to become politicians, ministers, priests, and in some case high school science teachers...it is what it is...that is not to say that it is all about nature and nurture/environment plays no role...environment does play a role, which is why myself and many other atheists (who were not destined to be morons), have THOUGHT about gods/religion and concluded that regardless what whatever a priori assumptions we have been given, it is all bullshit...I was an altar boy, I was taught to believe in god, then slowly but surely my innate ability to reason and thirst for reason kicked in...and because environment DOES play a role, it is imperative that these "genetic morons" are saved early on...their best chance is to have never been fed these false a priori assumptions about the world...naturally this is difficult to do, but the best chance comes from mass production of critical thinking skills, and from leaving religion outside of politics, mass media, and the classroom...and ideally outside of the home too...if you were raised religious, great...but leave your child at home when you go to church or wherever you go, and when you pray, do so for your damn self and do not involve anyone...if you god is so good and powerful blah blah blah, he'll find his way into your kid's soul and shit all over it...have faith in god and let him do his thing, don't try to do it for him

Yelian, that was well and most readably said.

...4, 6, 8, etc eyes/ears/hands (and half as many minds) can ensure survival better than 2 (or 1).

Thanks.

Thanks Yelina.  I agree with Tom S about the readability.

It makes sense that Morons are not being eliminated by natural selection as much now.  It's something I had not thought of before.

Sadly, that is one of the few times our compassion has been a problem for us as a species, not that I would give it up for anything, but we do too much to protect those who should not be allowed to reproduce. Unfortunately, evolution doesn't always favor the smartest, fastest, or strongest, only those who reproduce in the greatest numbers. 

And worse yet, we do not just let morons breed, we glorify them, encourage them, and put them up on pedestals, give them TV shows.

It is similar to the people who overuse things like hand sanitizers, you are preventing your body's natural ability to fight off the bad germs, and even killing off the good ones. It does real harm, but 'we' keep using them, and look at someone saying they should not like we grew a 3rd head...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service