As a popular music historian (of a sort), I am constantly banging head first into hit songs about people's imaginary friends. And, as such, I mourn for the nation and the world.

So ...

Question 1). Which are your most hated god-centric popular songs? (Mine are, in order, "God Bless The U.S.A." (Lee Greenwood), "Jesus Take The Wheel" (Carrie Underwood) and "Jesus Walks" (Kanye West).

Question 2). Do you have any god-centric popular songs that you rather like, despite their theme? (I'll only admit to "Spirit In The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, though there are one or two others.)

Question 3). This one is going to be a stumper, I fear. Aside from "Imagine" by John Lennon, is there/are there another/other popular song(s) which are expressly atheistic/humanistic and specifically don't call upon an invisible friend? (I say "popular," in that there are probably many by a variety of indie artists, but those don't necessarily swim in the mainstream where everyone would have heard it on the radio.)

There are a million reasons why there wouldn't be -- not the least of which it's hard to sing about a negative of something (belief), but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Tags: Atheism, Culture, Music, Pop

Views: 858

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Recent favorites as far as atheistic music goes is "The Prey" by "ASHES diVIDE"(Featuring Billy Howerdel for you APC fans)

So many wasted promises rhapsodized
So many wasted sundays trying to avoid the fire
So many wasted
Promises to take you higher

Feed the Children(Book of Lies) by Leftover Crack

we're born in pain and trapped in doom
our empty lives in empty rooms
the bible empties guilty minds
while cries for help face shutting blinds
these blind all scream for me to see
and disregard the ills of history
these fairy tales are memorized
and spew from mouths with empty eyes

Our Savior by Paradise Lost

Only the mindless.. will listen and obey
Worldwide wars... are caused by this uproar...
Pray.. to... rest... your conscience - for the sins you have done...
Where is your god now as you're dying alone
Brutal wounds cut deep
No miracles to heal
Watch your life now fade
He's not there to help you die...

Mighty Trust Krusher by Godflesh

I need this, I need you
On your knees
And we'll pray
Together now

Effortless
Mighty Trust Krusher

I need this, It's in my heart
I love you, My trust is evermore

Hate me, Tread on me
And you taught me, and finally slay me...Now

My all time favorite is Jesus Christ Homosexual by Corporate Avenger which is quite possibly the funniest song I've ever heard.

Not saying that it's good not saying it's right but the virgin mary might have been a hermaphrodite. She was with child without having a man and that's not the only thing I don't understand.
If Jesus Christ was god and god created all then Jesus Christ created the homosexual there might be a little fag in us all.

I'm sure there's more because most of my music is considered blasphemous in one way or another. Most of this stuff can be found on my profile if you're interested.
Oh I actually know a song about god know that I have in my playlist and like:

Stand Inside Your Love by Smashing Pumpkins. The love to god message is pretty cryptic though, I just tend to not think about it too much, I just prefer it as the generic love song ;)

I also managed to come up with a pretty humanist song, by the Swedish (RIP) artist Ted Gärdestad. It's called Sol, Vind och Vatten (Sun, Wind and Water). Basically that you should appreciate your life as it is. There is a slight mention of the star Zion but I am more thinking of it as a nicer version of the Northern Star, since the word "norrstjärna" (northstar) is mentioned later, as to avoid repetition.
1) I despise "Jesus Take the Wheel", also. When Carrie's CD came out my mother played it NON-STOP for days, *gag*. I'm afraid I don't listen to much Christian music anymore :D

2) I do/did really like DC Talk, if anyone remembers that mid/late 90's Christian rock group. "What If I Stumble", "Colored People"(awesome title, right?), and "Jesus Freak". Oh yeah, I was a big DC Talk fan-girl :P

3) Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the message in this song: "Judith" by Tool. It's on my profile page if anyone wants to listen. In fact, I think it's the very first song on my list.
Oh wow, I just flashed back to 7th grade! My best friend was a huge DC Talk fan and she was constantly playing "Jesus Freak." I was torn between really liking how catchy it was and being really weirded out by it for reasons I couldn't quite understand at the time.
I really don't pay enough attention to sectarian music enough to form negative opinions about any of them. So I don't have any particularly hated songs. Oh sure songs like God Bless America are somewhat irksome. But nothing really stands out.

There are songs that are god or jesus centric that I do find wonderful. Jesu joy of man's desire by Bach is marvelous IMO. And Bach being my favorite composer means that I am able to find offensive material in nearly any of his works.

I do keep a collection of songs that are contrary to sectarian thinking. Imagine is not alone by any means in this category. A quick list off the top of my head:

Meaning of Life by Monty Python
Dear God by XTC
Money God by Big Pig
Trouble with God by Moby
God's Song by Randy Newman
Sympathy for the Devil by Rolling Stones
Kooler than Jesus by My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult
DEVIL by 666
Hell by Squirrel Nut Zipper
God is God by Juno Reactor
Jesus Christ Superstar by Laibach
Hey Poor, Jesus is here by Front 242
Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode

There are others to be sure. But these are the ones that leap to mind.
Ooh, thanks for that list!

I have a few of those already, but they had slipped my mind (or hadn't occurred to me in that manner). The others I will seek out now!
Yes, thanks for that list.

I think a nod should be given to Aqualung by Jethro Tull. The songs "Locomotive Breath" and "Oh God" are clearly anti-religious but unfortunately the thesis of the album, as summed up in "Wind Up" is that god is ok but organized religion has lost its way.
Animal Skins-Crack the Sky
A Comet Appears-The Shins
Close-Cloud Cult
Where it Starts-Cloud Cult
Shadow and Light-Joni Mitchell
I forgot the mother of all atheist songs:

Dumb all over-Frank Zappa
1) Everything you people already said, plus "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist" by Muse. It isn't "popular" exactly, but it pisses me off. Excerpt:

and I know the moment's near
and there's nothing you can do
look through a faithless eye
are you afraid to die?

it scares the hell out of me
and the end is all I can see
and it scares the hell out of me
and the end is all I can see

Question 2). I'm also a sucker for Spirit in the Sky. I like a few Switchfoot songs. I have about a dozen Christian albums in my iTunes library from before my deconversion, and I still listen to some of them, though I've deleted a few that I find offensive now.

Question 3). "Vein of Stars" by the Flaming Lips, "Bukowski" by Modest Mouse, and "Old Man" by Randy Newman.

Vein of Stars excerpt:
Who knows
maybe there isn't
a vein of stars callin' out my name
they'll glow from above our heads
nothin' there to see you down on your knees

25, 26, 27
up in the future maybe there aint no heaven
there's just you and me
maybe it's just as well
& if there aint no heaven
maybe there aint no hell
I LOVE Muse, but I didn't really think that is their greatest song. From what I understand, they have more of an atheist/possibly deist bend, but not Christians or anything like that. I took that song to mean more like just being afraid of death or something. Check out their song "Megalomania". Kind of vague, but the line "take off your disguise
i know that underneath it's me" makes me think of atheism; as in, stop hiding behind God, it's only us here. That Peter O'Toole movie, The Ruling Class quote: "How do you know you're God?" "Simple, when I pray to Him I find I am talking to myself". Something like that. :)
I agree. I'm also a huge Muse fan, but my take on the song "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist" is not that it takes a stand on religion at all, but does convey with chilling effect WHY there are so many believers. It is a rather depressing song.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service