Love Dawkins, BUT I am uncomfortable with referring to oneself as a 'bright', it smacks of referring to oneself as an ALPHA. Thoughts?

Tags: Bright

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a problem. I reluctantly call myself a bright, but it really does have an arrogant ring to it.
by the way, I think this might belong to one of the other forums.
I am new here, so dont quite know the forums yet, which should forever confirm that I am not a 'bright' LOL
I've avoided the title for the same reason. There's an air of smugness in it that I'm not comfortable with. I think it really comes down to how you self identify and semantics.

I don't think badly of people that choose to use it...it's just not for me.
Agreed, it is useful by way of distinction, to distinguish freethinkers from others, but I agree with your point that it sounds smug
I agree. Although I would consider myself a Bright, I can't use the term without feeling pretentious. For now I stick with atheist, humanist or non-religious depending on who I'm talking to.
Yes, and I also like 'freethinker'
The problem with the term freethinker is that it doesn't rule out some of superstitions in many peoples mind.
Do you mean that evidence should be the threshhold and hence superstitions would make one not a freethinker? HA I don't know if what I just said makes sense!!
Freethinker just means someone who is free of thought; and it can be anyone who thinks differently, even someone believing in ghosts ;)
Or someone just willing to entertain the existence of ghosts?
I agree about labels, OT but particularly when it comes to kids I think labels are inhibiting. I don't mind labeling myself as an atheist because that means one thing and one thing only.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Will-I Am S. replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
13 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion The IRS Says It Will Finally Enforce the Rules Barring Pastors from Endorsing Candidates from the Pulpit in the group Atheist News
25 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joe's discussion The IRS Says It Will Finally Enforce the Rules Barring Pastors from Endorsing Candidates from the Pulpit in the group Atheist News
30 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion The IRS Says It Will Finally Enforce the Rules Barring Pastors from Endorsing Candidates from the Pulpit in the group Atheist News
34 minutes ago
Luara replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
36 minutes ago
Patricia replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
43 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Media Issues
43 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Richard Goscicki's discussion Marijuana and Atheism
46 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
48 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
50 minutes ago
Richard Goscicki replied to Richard Goscicki's discussion Marijuana and Atheism
57 minutes ago
Luara replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
58 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service