I was just wondering what people thought of a Save our Souls area where we could invite Christians and other religions to come and discuss their beliefs with us.

There have to be believers out there who need to convert us heathens to attain eternal life I would imagine they would jump at the opportunity to explain why they believe to us ;-) ( evil grin )

Who knows we may even pick up some converts along the way !!!!

The rules would be simple no abuse and only logical rational argument not ( Because my imaginary friend said so ) I would love to have a rational science and philosophical based discussion with some religious groups.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While I love a good argument, I don't think this is going to be workable. The kind of theists who would want to come here and try to convert us are not likely to abide by your terms. These are not people famous for rational arguments, nor are they likely to restrict their preaching to one section of this site. I don't think we should be encouraging these kinds people to come here and harass us. If one, two or twenty of them do show up and really want to discuss it, they could probably just toss it in the theism forum, anyway.

I want to make it clear that I am not opposed to allowing theists on this site. I can't think of any reliable way prevent them from signing up in the first place and I really don't want this network to get a reputation for blocking people who don't toe the party line.
No problem just floating an idea :-)
It's always good to float ideas. I often do it, knowing I get a thumbs down occasionally.

Unfortunately, I have to give thumbs down also.
Ideas are dangerous things !!!

I try never to think I just do as I am told ;-)
"While I love a good argument, I don't think this is going to be workable."

Ditto
Yep, a sure-fire invitation to trolls galore :-)
I think there has been some discussion about sitting up a 'sister site' to Atheist Nexus where members can engage with Christians. I think this will be a way down the track though.
Cool You know how argumentative I am :-)
That's a good idea,but I think I'd have a better chance of teaching my house rabbit how to talk than I would be at getting a xtain to give up their fantasy.
Your mileage may vary.
We could form an atheist hit squad ;-) sort of a new age Spanish Inquisition :-)
I agree.
We are not going to change them and they are not going to change us...I like the sister site idea though.
I just don't want them coming over here and messing up our serene site with their xtan babble.
I just joined this place because it is like an Internet sanctuary for Atheists. There are a million places I can argue religion online (and I do), but it's nice to have a comfortable place away from all the circular twisted logic and "straw-man" arguements. If I want someone to challenge me to into proving an all powerful being that happens to be invisible doesn't exist, they won't be hard to find.

I understand your intentions and I think this website will more efficiently inspire doubt if it is 100% Atheist content.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service