We've had an interesting discussion in our household this morning.

We have a fundamentalist Christian relative staying with us for the weekend. Now, let me preface this by saying he is terminally ill and I am not in a position to cause a fuss over anything he says or does, so I have spent the last couple of days painfully biting my tongue. ;-)

But, it has got us to thinking about double standards.

Yesterday, he sat down in the lounge room and rather ostentatiously drew out a Christian book and proceeded to tell us what a great read it was.

Last night he decided he wanted to go to church today, so he asked me to find out what time the service was.

This morning, I got up early, drove him to church and arranged to pick him up again when it is finished.

Back home, Mum and I got to discussing what would have been the reaction if the tables had been turned.

I turn up at my relative's Christian house and ostentatiously draw out my copy of Hitchens' "God is Not Great" and begin expounding on how wonderful it is.

Then I say, "Oh, by the way, there's an atheist meeting happening somewhere nearby tomorrow. Can you find out when and where it is for me and drop me off and pick me up?"

Of course, I would never do that - but it seems perfectly acceptable for Christians to do this in atheist households.

I must admit I did crack a little this morning when we were met at the door by a church full of smiling Christians who, when told I would not be attending, reached out their hands and started repeating, "Join us, join us, join us!" Honestly, it was creepier than the Annual Brisbane Zombie Walk! My reply, "Not in a million years!" was probably a little less than tactful, but hey, I'm human! ;-)

Tags: christianity, church, family

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Join us, to the Dark side!

We have cookies! *steals cookies and runs away*
Oh yeah,that is so true...What they have to say and do is always more important than what we have to say or do..it gets quite tiresome..Me,I'd have had everyone leave the room when he started reading his religious book.(Ill or not,there is no excuse for that.) Second,I'd have told him HE could find out when the service was held and HE could arrange transportation...And if he didn't like it,too bad.
I had a childhood friend who would always want me to go to church with him, and i never would. This guy made the sign of the cross in his car every time he passed a church. Well, .... he tried to have sex with my girlfriend's little sister. I saw this with my own eyes, and he told me that i saw wrong. He'll be driving down the road and say "look at that (n word)". He would date someone, then say "don't tell anyone, but i'm seeing (insert name) on the side." He would throw all trash in his car out on the highway. He drinks and drives, and has offered it to my little brother when my brother was recovering in an alcohol treatment center! There's probably alot more that i can tell you, but this is what comes to mind at the moment. This was a while back, but i can't believe that he gives me a hard time about not going to church. One time when he made the sign of the cross while driving, i did it too, and then clapped my hands once. He got really mad, and i couldn't stop laughing.
Join us......Join us.....all we want to do is eat your brains!!!!!!!!! lol

Still, I think you handled this admirably and maturity. You were still nice but blunt without being cruel. I hope I can be as level headed if I ever get into that situation. Hugs

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service