What traits do you most respect in people, and why?

I'm going on a big self-improvement kick, ala Benjamin Franklin's "Life of Virtue" experiment.

What traits do you all think leads to a person of high quality/someone you'd respect/a better person?

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hah! I love that one. Did Oscar come up with that or you?
I haven't really made up any kind of list, so the following attributes are coming off the top of my head. In no particular order:

1. Skepticism
2. Open Minded (not so much that the mind falls out, though)
3. Sense of humour
4. Altruistic
5. Does things because they are right and good.
6. Humility
7. Humbleness/Modesty (I find constant bragging a bit repugnant)
8. Intelligence

I guess that's about it, for now.
Balance.

During my adult life I've had many people state their admiration for my 'outlook' on life; I'm a happy go lucky kinda guy.

Many of these people have been 'religious'. These guys/gals have a whole heap of issues that stem from their religion. They can't be happy because their religion prevents them from being happy. Too many demands.

I don't have religion, my life is uncomplicated.

I have balance in my life.

I follow the golden rule "treat others as you would like to be treated" works for me. Don't judge, just accept. Attempt (re)education where it will be appreciated/accepted.

Now I understand that in these times that this 'pacific' viewpoint may be considered against the 'principles' of militant atheisism, but I'd not hesitate to state that example is more important than ridicule.
I also live after the rule "treat others of how you want to be treated". I find that far too few actually follow this rule themselves... and I do believe the world would be a far better world if people did reflect more of how they were treating others.
Off the top of my head:
Humor
Curiousity
Openness
Self-acceptance
Love of Knowledge and the desire to aquire more of it
Roald Dahl a man who I admire greatly said "Kindness"

I think if we try to be kind to others and to ourselves we cannot go far wrong.

Humor helps but being simply kind is a great thing.
Honesty! But I have to qualify that. I met a guy recently who thought it was OK to be mean and insulting to his friends on the basis of, "Hey! I'm just being honest." I don't mean the kind of 'honesty' that you think excuses you being a jerk.

I mean being 'up front' and ethical in your dealings with people. For example, if you're in a relationship that's not working for you, say something - don't just go off and bonk someone else. If you meet someone you like better, extricate yourself (honestly) from the existing relationship and then explore a relationship with the new person. Don't try to have your cake and eat it too.

If you make a mistake at work, don't hide it and hope no-one will find out. March into the boss's office with your head held high and say, "I made a mistake. I thought you'd better hear it from me. I think I can fix it - here's my plan. I'm sorry I screwed up, it won't happen again." I always told my bosses, "If I ever do anything wrong, you will never have to hear it from someone else - I'll be the first one to tell you."

It's much easier to live an honest life than to have to try to remember what lies you've told.
Honesty! But I have to qualify that. I met a guy recently who thought it was OK to be mean and insulting to his friends on the basis of, "Hey! I'm just being honest." I don't mean the kind of 'honesty' that you think excuses you being a jerk.

But you have known me for years now !
It wasn't you. I know when you're insulting to me you're just trying to hide your deep love and affection - I'm so used to it now I wouldn't feel comfortable if you were actually nice to me. ;-)
I respect people who are like KV because they're humble and unassuming. ;)
I'm always impressed by those people who are always all calm and easygoing. It seems like most of us spend most of our time being high-strung and fighting, and it's like they don't even see it...
Oddly enough, what I respect MOST is what you're doing . . . the willingness to look unflinchingly at who and what you are, to recognize weaknesses or traits that don't support your "goal self" and to CHANGE. I have written bunches of what I call "gems of wisdom" (yeah, I know, it's a little smug, but what the hell). One of them goes like this: Your belief in a principle may comfort you, but your defense of a principle defines you.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service