Any other Aussie atheists here? I realise the Yankee Doodles have far more pressing problems than we have with the fundamentalists, but we have to work to ensure our government isn't similarly tarnished by religious fundamentalism.

We've already had both Howard and Rudd kow-towing to Hillsong Church during the election - and although the fundamentalist Family First party seems hopeless, they have managed to find some traction.

Prime Minister Rudd did us proud by apologizing for the Stolen Generation but has stopped the ACT from legalizing gay marriage. Tasmania is next to test the Federal Government's stance on civil unions.

Meanwhile, the Labor Government continues to finance the Exclusive Brethren cult.

Euthanasia is another issue which might be discussed by Aussie atheists after the religious factions in the former Liberal government rescinded the Northern Territory's ruling to legalise it.

There is still lobbying to be done in this country to make sure that we don't end up in the same position as the Americans.

Anyone interested in discussing Australian issues and working together to lobby the government and local representatives with emails on important issues?

Kristy

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting idea, SA! Why don't you suggest this in the Aussie, Kiwi and South Pacific Atheists Forum where more people might see it.
i seen this party before thinking i joining i do like what it stands for.
is there a sydney branch?
and which branch do i need to send it too to become a party member
Not sure if you're kidding here, Badwolf. You like what the Family First Party stands for????? You do know it's a political front for the Assemblies of God/Pentecostal Church don't you?
http://www.secular.org.au/aims.php
how is these aim's same as family first?
For those that don't stop at just atheism, there is the Libertarian option -

http://www.ldp.org.au/

The vote turn out was pathetic last federal election. I vote in Eden Monaro. They got 2 votes there - me and my mum.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service