Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens? And why?

I think Richard Dawkins is my favorite horseman, (If you don't get the reference the four aforementioned atheists did a two hour documentary where they spoke about atheism, morality, and religion called "The Four Horsemen.") he seems so nice and approachable. Not mention he has a great sense of humor.

However, I think I'd rather have dinner with Hitchens out of the four. I'm a smart-ass anti-theist atheist, just like Hitchens. I think we would have a great conversation about the absurdity of religion, and how its a plague that needs to be vanquished. It would be a great night with a lot of laughs and smart-ass comments...

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of my friends is just completing his doctorate at Oxford, and has met Dawkins on several occasions. He says that without a doubt Dawkins is one of the most sour, arrogant, judgmental men he has ever met.

Given my friend is not in the sciences, I can imagine what Dawkins might think of people in his program, and perhaps that has influenced their interactions.

But I think that this has changed my preference if I had but one Horseman to choose.

The winner: Sam Harris

I would be very, very interested in discussing his insights into neurology. His points on beliefs having a physiological impact in the "End of Faith" were absolutely revolutionary to me, and took some of my thinking in directions I would not have gone in without him.

I really think Hitchens would be the best party guest of the lot, what with the smoking and drinking and general rabble rousing and all, but I wouldn't waste a wish on sharing a Horseman with my friends. I'd want one all to myself, and I think I'd have the most to learn from Harris.

I really like Dennett, and I think he'd be my runner up. If you haven't seen my posts in the Free Will DNE forum yet, I have a particular interest in that subject. I'd absolutely love to talk it out with Dennett.

As for Dawkins, I think I have less to learn from him than from Harris or Dennett. I'm not a biologist. We could discuss the operational tactics and strategy of the atheist movement, which would be engrossing, but I think I'd prefer the antics of Hitchens as an enduring memory. Unless, of course, I could persuade Dawkins to give me a job as a Director of Communications for RDF!
Hey since this is a fantasy dinner - I'm taking away the restriction that they be alive.

I'd also go for two people at the same time:

- The Pope
- Jesus (the man behind the myth - assuming there was one)

Jesus: "Benedict, I was joking when I said that, lighten up. I can't believe they wrote all that crap down. Those disciples never really got what I was about, no wonder you're all in this mess".

Pope Benedict XVI: "You're not planning any interviews are you"?

Jesus: "Well I've got a book deal brewing - Dawkins is doing the foreword, I don't think you're going to like it. Can I have some more of that cheesecake stuff"?

Pope Benedict XVI: "There's plenty in your beard".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
50 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
55 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
56 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
57 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
59 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service