We seem to be coming closer to discovering that the planet we call Earth is not the only place in the universe that supports life.

I am just wondering what you think the the religious creationists and fundamentalists would say if life was confirmed to exist off our small blue green planet?

I am sure they will find a reason for god to have made extraterrestrial life like god made coloured people in Africa so they could be slaves.

NASA's small step into Martian manure?
Richard Macey
August 6, 2008 - 6:25AM
Have they found poo on the Red Planet?

Space websites around the world are abuzz with speculation about what NASA's latest Mars probe may have found.

The excitement has been triggered by a report in the journal Aviation Week that the space agency alerted the White House to "major new Phoenix lander discoveries concerning the 'potential for life' ".

Jon Clarke, a geologist with Mars Society Australia, a group dedicated to Martian exploration, said the report had triggered a frenzy of interest. "Chat groups are all speculating about what it is," Dr Clarke said. "We have had emails flying backwards and forwards. Something is certainly in the breeze."

The magazine reports that the discovery was made by a Phoenix experiment package called the Microscopy, Electrochemistry and Conductivity Analyser, or MECA, which is designed to mix Martian soil with water brought from Earth.

In June NASA revealed the instrument had found Martian soil was not toxic, as had been thought, and could be used to grow crops such as asparagus.

Asked to speculate yesterday on what it may have now found, Dr Clarke said the instrument was designed, among other things, to spot dissolved ammonium and nitrate salts.

"On Earth, if you have a lot of ammonium and nitrate it usually means there is organic activity. We excrete it as waste and other organisms use it."

High volumes of such chemistry in a river could point to effluent run-off from a farm. While not life itself, "it could be a sign of biology. Ammonium nitrate is a fertiliser and if present might indicate greater habitability," Dr Clarke said.

NASA has said little about the claims, although it has used the social networking site Twitter to downplay the reports.

The Twitter site, where the Phoenix team has been posting text messages, says: "Heard about the recent news reports implying I may have found Martian life. Those reports are incorrect."

A later message adds: "Reports claiming there was a White House briefing are also untrue and incorrect."

But the magazine did not say it was life that had been discovered but evidence relating to the planet's "habitability".

Aviation Week strongly hinted that an announcement, which it said could be made next month, would be far more dramatic than last week's news that Phoenix had confirmed there is water ice on the planet.

Dr Clarke said the predicted announcement "obviously ... has to be bigger than the asparagus [announcement]". But it "could all be a storm in a tea cup". Just in case, "our ears are perked. We can't wait."

Tags: extraterrestrials, mars, nasa

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think they'd have any trouble fitting extra-terrestrial life into their god view. The Catholics have already said as much
...Since God created the universe, theologians say, he would have created aliens, too. And far from being weakened by contact, Christianity would adapt. Its doctrines would be interpreted anew, the aliens greeted with open -- and not necessarily Bible-bearing -- arms...
They would adapt their views to include alien life.

But we all know that god and earth are special that is why he put us first. I wonder how they explain all this happening in the biblical 6,000 years since creation ?

Was there a biblical flood on Mars as well ?
Religion hasn't been slowed by the hundreds of years of scientific evidence that directly contradicts church doctrine. Why would they falter at evidence for something that isn't even mentioned in any holy book?
Was that "Life" was found or the chemical compounds were found ?
My expectation is that no life whatever will be found on Mars (not even microbes deep in rocks), and at best only highly inconclusive evidence that it ever existed will be found (the sort of thing that would be easily deniable).

I do think the universe abounds in life, but we're not likely to encounter any before we pop our clogs, species-wise. I think its fairly likely the nearest life is a good few lightyears away (far enough that we'll never go there in person, and even if we do it, any unmanned missions wont show results for hundreds of generations, so we may well not be around to hear back), and I think technological civilizations will be extremely rare (far apart in space and or time), so they won't be contacting us either.

[Space, you see, is big. Really, really big.]

While there are som possibilities for more life in our solar system, I don't think it's particularly odds-on. I do think we could probably engineer life that could survive on Mars, and maybe in a few other places.

What I think we will do, and probably soon - maybe even in my lifetime, probably within that of my kids - is detect somewhat clear evidence for life on distant worlds, by examining the atmosphere of earthlike planets and showing that it is far from equilibrium in a way that would be hard to explain without the presence of life.

Many theists will accept it and update their worldviews (a lot of religious views have already moved quite far and already show a level of doublethink far beyond what's needed to incorporate it). Others will not, and will simply deny that there is life out there (if more than half the US population doubts evolution, for which evidence abounds, something like that's going to be childs play to ignore).

So unless we actually do have Martian microbes or loops of replicating organic chemicals in the seas under the ice of Europa or something, I don't think anyone's world will be shattered (and I don't think that's going to happen anyway, though it would be really cool). An even if we do find such incontrovertible evidence, it will be ignored rather than accepted by those whose adherence to doctrine has already shown an utter lack of interaction with reality.
I will relish the day we make first contact with another living species, and I am eagerly waiting to find out what their belief system is. No matter what it is, it will fly in the face of Christianity because the odds of having the same belief system from another planet is astronomical. It'll be just another list of belief systems to add to the already 3000+ list of gods and creators.

Alternatively, if the first species we make contact with is Atheistic, I will not only cherish that day, I will make it a personal holiday and take it off every year. We all would probably do that because it would become and international "day of first contact" holiday, but my reasoning would be different, and that's all that matters!

Speculative? Highly, but I'm just entertaining my own rambling consciousness, hehnow
If that have a god or gods we will probably go to war with them for being heretics.

If they have no gods then we will probably go to war with them for being godless atheists.
hahaha we so get owned if mankind did our technology is stone age compared to them if they could travel here in the first place
As a science fiction reader,over my lifetime I've had gads of first contact fantasies.
I also agree there is life out there. I'm doubtful that contact will be made before we manage to hose the entire planet.
And if I'm wrong and they do show up,I'm sure the religious will try and convert them.
I think that if life is discovered, it will be another nail in the coffin of christians. Sure, they'll make up an elaborate explanation, but since atheists have momentum, i don't think the explanations will stand up. It's already funny enough reading about the numerous explanations/interpretations about events in the bible. It seems that trying to make sense of the bible these days is too much of a headache; that's why christianity is declining (I don't know the stats, just guessing).
well if advance life is out there in space and capiable of travelling to us and already know of us.
they dont want to talk to humanity because to them we a stupid it like us vs stone age in the aspect of technology comparisement to them. And humanity would seem quiet crazy compared to them anyways with our wars, tv shows and religious beliefs.
if they can come here and know of us they wont talk to us until our kind grows up enough to handle it and we made large advance's in science and technology and use it wisely to show that we are ready for first contact
Or perhaps they found it just too difficult to accomplish, for a slew of reasons.
Anyway,I'd sure love it if they dropped in on us though. it would be most interesting, to say the least.
I'll leave the light on for um, just in case.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service