Is there a correlation between mental health and atheism?

I'm a psychology teacher with a keen interest in both mental health and atheism and I think I have spotted a link between the 2. Of the atheists I chat to regularly, a significant number of them have mental health issues and I believe there is a negative correlation. I would like to know if a) the same applies to you; and/or b) if you are aware of any studies that have investigated this link.

So far I have not unearthed any and the study being conducted by Sam Harris is looking at a positive correlation. I am considering a study of my own but it is most definitely just an idea at the moment. I would appreciate candid responses, but recognise it's not necessarily a subject people want to talk about.

I have my own theory as to why this link occurs, but I will keep it to myself for now. Many thanks to those who feel they want to and can respond.

Tags: Crtitcal, Health, Personal, analysis, responsibility

Views: 963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said Rob. It's actually a valid argument on the part of the Theist to say to the depressed/troubled person: But you'd feel so much better with God taking care of you.

Yes, in times of intense loneliness, it would feel great to have someone whose shoulder I can cry on. Bonus if that someone has superpowers to magically cure me or banish the bad things in my life.

And yes, this invisible superpower being works fantastically as a placebo.

On the other hand, even in my moments of depression and intense loneliness, I do take a very different kind of comfort in knowing I'm still facing reality, and not hiding behind my invisible superpower placebo friend.

Well, in those moments I do have an imaginary shoulder to lean on, attached to a body that looks a lot like Tae Diggs, or John Cho as Sulu, or Mathew Mc-what's-his-face-who-looks-so-fabulous-with-his-shirt-off. But that's a different kind of imaginary-comfort and a lot more healthy imho. :-P
Hm, I suffer from anxiety problems and probably some other things that will never be diagnosed. I was always inclined to have an interest in religion but that very same intense interest is what dragged me straight through religion and into non-belief.

There is a history of mental health problems on my mothers and grandmothers side(my grandmother suffered from a variety of mental ailments (paranoid schizophrenia) from her youth until her death.. though she was a victim of the 60's and 70's crazy psychiatric practices such as shock therapy as well), as well as a surprisingly high rate of suicide(atleast two in the past few years). That portion of the family seems to be extremely religious. (like my mother, who no doubt suffers from some mental issues herself... 'm pretty sure my anxiety was gained from her)

My grandfather on my mothers side is quite crazy as well. he is a hoarder, and makes up absurd stories about my father cooking meth in the bath tub. He is also a very accomplished and intelligent man. He has been a politician, a pilot a journalist and a big rig mechanic (he now teaches vocational college mechanics classes). I don't let on to it very often as I have reason to despise the man but he is the only person in the entirety of my family I feel any kinship with. He and I are the only atheist's that I know of in the family and we both have intense loves for the subject of history and political science.

I really don't know enough about my father's familial past to offer much on his side, but my father is an agnostic. He is also what many commonly refer to as a "crazy mfer". He suffers from issues of RAGE (is where I get my just as short but waaaay less volatile temper from) and has had addiction problems his whole life. He was also a member of the biker gang Satan's Tramps until I was twelve. He shot a man once and in my childhood I saw him merciless beat quite a few men inches from there lives. And yet he can appear to be thoughtful and quite intelligent when not suffering from the above-mentioned issues.

Anyway, there is some random info. Take from it what you will.

Accidentally fell on this article, which correlates with my lifelong perception of the world, that religious and "happy" people can fly right by problems in society and not take note of them, and assume everything is just fine! Whereas moderately grumpy people are actually much more in-tune with the realities of the world. Does that qualify us as depressed, NO, just realists! Of course living in Lalaland will put a smile on your face!

Depressive Realism: Happiness or Objectivity

Cognitive Distortions in Psychologically Healthy People

Despite the major assumption that psychologically healthy people are quite capable of evaluating reality, contradictory evidence has been published since the 1970s. To illustrate, Hendrick and Ugwuegbu (1974), Langer and Roth (1975), and Larwood (1978) reported that non-depressed people have some distortions in the perception of reality. Non-depressed people were reported to be prone to perceiving they had illusory control over their circumstances, even over completely random events. Langer (1975) referred to this notion as illusion of control. Similarly, it was reported that non-depressed people tend to attribute their success to internal factors and to attribute failure to external factors, which is known as self-serving bias (Miller and Ross, 1975). Ross (1977) reported that non-depressed people overwhelmingly attribute the causes of behavior to the individual, without considering contextual variables. The results of similar studies show that non-depressed (normal) people are overly optimistic about themselves and think that they have control over life¾that they underestimate the probability of the occurrence of unwanted negative future events (Taylor and Brown, 1988).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service