Am I right? Let's all have a round of applause for the Godless!!

Anyways, being Atheists, how do you feel about religious, churchgoing people?

I mean obviously they hate you. No denying that. But do you hate them back, do you pity them, do you really care?

Discuss.

(Hopefully this isn't a repeat topic, I looked around)

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't say I'm terribly concerned about my own death, for my own sake. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, but I'm not terribly afraid. Still...being dead is easy, dying can be pretty rough.

Death is certainly difficult on the living. It isn't much comfort to me for someone to say, at least my wife isn't suffering anymore. I know for a fact that she was willing to suffer for the joy of living. But I do take comfort in, and stand in awe of, how much better my life is for having known her.
I feel the same way. The only comfort in death is having had the privilege of at least some time together and having been lucky enough to learn from / experience / know the person lost.
I think for most people it's the lack of existance part. :D

I don't think we have the power to comprehend that- just like we have no power to truly comprehend living, and it drives some of us insane.
Atheism

The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Makes perfect sense.

Has anyone heard this?

This was posted on a public forum by a girl I was semi-friends with, and I was definitely not calling myself an Atheist at the time but I was really offended that she'd disregard someone else's belief system, especially since it's no crazier than most religions.

And, while Atheists have a broad series of beliefs, Atheism alone means that you just don't believe in any God(s). An Atheist does not have to believe in the "Big Bang" theory, or anything else, like evolution. And as I've had to explain before, Darwin is not the Jesus of Atheism.

There's also a phrase that says something about how God heals but Doctors take home the bills?

I think even most religious patrons would disagree...

Any similar complaints?
*sigh*
Huh? I don't even understand what she wrote...
I think this response is a typical example of how many (not all) religious people confuse theory, belief, and fact. What she describes is a theory that many (not all) atheists and agnostics believe to be the likely cause of the origin of life, but not an irrefutable fact that is above scrutiny.

The difference between this belief and hers is that hers is unshakable. No matter how much the evidence is stacked against her, no matter what new evidence may surface, she just knows that she is 100% right. What's funny is she thinks that we're playing by those same rules. You said she disregarded someone's "belief system," but that's not quite accurate. Most atheists or agnostics would gladly drop their "belief" in the Big Bang theory, evolution, or a spherical Earth if new evidence made a stronger case contrariwise.

I think one defining characteristic of a good scientist (or any person of reason) is that no matter how vigorously they argue for a theory, they are thrilled by good evidence that proves them dead wrong.
True, though I wasn't saying "belief system" referring to all Atheists, just in general for whoever was a supporter of that theory. After all, belief and knowledge are different things. Whether the belief is shakable or not is somewhat irrelevant, people can and do change their minds. (And I apologize if my wording was skewed... It has been lately.)

But of course I agree... in general Atheists are more factual than faithful, and tend to go with the most logical idea, and if that changes, they'll be more likely to accept it.
I feel sorry for theists because their world view is so small, and their intellects are being suffocated by corrupt superstitions.
I think theists are some of the scariest people on Earth. As a group they are determined to convert me to their believe system, and if they can’t convert me, they don’t believe I have a right to exist. I also believe ignorance is dangerous, and that theists are intellectually limited by their ties to supernatural dogma, which breads ignorance.
Just trying this out.
Any old members of secularity.com on this site?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service